Digital Theatre: The best of British theatre available to the world
By Digital Theatre
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Immerse yourself in the world of theatre with the Digital Theatre app. We deliver world-class productions in stunning high-definition to a global audience.
Through the app you can access the full range of Digital Theatre Originals and Digital Theatre Collections.
We capture and edit Digital Theatre Originals, working closely with directors to ensure that their artistic vision is realised to the full on screen.
Highlights of Digital Theatre Originals include: The Old Vic’s sell-out production of Arthur Miller’s The Crucible, starring Richard Armitage, Olivier Award-winning Into the Woods from Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre, and Shakespeare’s classic comedy Much Ado About Nothing, starring David Tennant and Catherine Tate.
A selection of Digital Theatre titles includes:
• The Crucible: Richard Armitage stars in Arthur Miller’s classic American drama The Crucible
• Much Ado About Nothing: David Tennant and Catherine Tate are reunited on stage in Much Ado About Nothing
• Into the Woods: Regent's Parks Open Air Theatre's Olivier Award-winning revival of Into the Woods
• Private Lives: Toby Stephens and Anna Chancellor star in Coward's hilarious comedy Private Lives
• Ghosts: Lesley Manville stars in Richard Eyre’s triple Olivier Award-winning production of Ibsen’s Ghosts
• King Lear: Jonathan Pryce stars as King Lear in Michael Attenborough's sell-out Almeida Theatre production King Lear
• A Doll’s House: Young Vic's award-winning production of A Doll's House starring Hattie Morahan
• All My Sons: David Suchet and Zoë Wanamaker star in the sell-out West End revival of All My Sons
• Long Day’s Journey into Night: David Suchet returns to the West End in Eugene O'Neill's Pulitzer Prize-winning masterpiece Long Day’s Journey into Night
• Macbeth: David Morrissey returns to Liverpool to give his Macbeth at the Everyman Theatre
• As You Like It: Royal Shakespeare Company Artistic Director Michael Boyd directs As You Like It
• Far from the Madding Crowd: English Touring Theatre's rousing staging of Thomas Hardy's Far from the Madding Crowd
• Lovesong: Abi Morgan and Frantic Assembly's haunting and beautiful Lovesong
• Beautiful Thing: The acclaimed 20th anniversary production of Jonathan Harvey's seminal play Beautiful Thing
• Over There: Luke and Harry Treadaway star in Mark Ravenhill's Over There for the Royal Court
• Billy the Kid: Michael Morpurgo's Billy the Kid staged at the Unicorn Theatre by Tony Graham
• Comedy of Errors: RSC and Told by an Idiot give a contemporary twist to Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors
Download the app and also have access to the Digital Theatre Collections. These are collections of titles curated in partnership with: the English National Ballet, Glyndebourne, the London Symphony Orchestra, Perfect Pitch, the Royal Opera House and Shakespeare’s Globe.
Collections titles include popular operas La Bohéme and La Traviata, classic ballets such as Swan Lake and Shakespeare’s iconic love story, Romeo and Juliet.
Digital Theatre productions can be streamed to the app when you are online. Create an account through the app, or use your existing Digital Theatre login to access your library.
Productions can be played on your HDTV using AirPlay and Apple TV - simply tap the AirPlay icon when watching any trailer or production.
Online Rentals are available in your library for 30 days after purchase and can be viewed for 48 hours from the start of playback.
Downloads and HD downloads can be viewed as many times as you like.
What's New in Version 1.39
- Fix for playback crash on iOS 6.x
- Resolves a rare issue with purchasing productions
We are continuing to work hard to bring further playback improvements to you. As part of this work this will be the last version to support iOS 5.x and 6.x.
Great for watching theatre in your living room
Great app for purchasing and watching theatre in your living room if you have apple tv, or if you can connect a laptop to your tv, or if you have a tv that can download the app. Otherwise you can watch on your device or pc with internet connection. Unfortunately there is no feature that allows you to download to your mobile device, meaning that if you want to watch theatre on the go, you must have an internet connection and use quite a lot of data to watch anything. It is a real shame that you cannot download to your device for playing when you don't have connection. For this reasin I have given this app 3 stars - otherwise it would have been 5 stars (and would have been brilliant) - and I would have been much more tempted to purchase productions using it.
No longer works with 5.x
Caution if updating app if still using 5. x on an iPad 2. Informed the app developer. They did not respond and they have not warned their users about possible issues. At the time of writing the app is still being offered to os 5.x and 6.x users. Contact Digital Theatre first, you may have better luck. Avoid the disappointment.
Disappointing and pointless
Playback doesn't work through app so little point in downloading... Just access via website instead.
Also there is a very limited selection of content.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: 19 January 2015
- Version: 1.39
- Size: 21.4 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: DigitalTheatre.com Limited
- © 2014 Digital Theatre
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimised for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Much Ado About Nothing - SD£9.99
- Much Ado About Nothing - HD£11.99
- Into The Woods - SD£9.99
- Private Lives - SD£9.99
- Into The Woods - HD£11.99
- A Doll's House - SD£9.99
- Lovesong - SD£9.99
- Merrily We Roll Along - SD£9.99
- Beautiful Thing - SD£9.99
- Private Lives - HD£11.99