DK The Human Body App
By Dorling Kindersley
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
A multi-award winning app that takes a ground-breaking look into the human body with highly accurate, visual and accessible information. The wonders of human anatomy are explored and explained in a way that offers hours of learning, fun and entertainment.
Designed for everyone with an interest in the subject, the Human Body app is a must-have reference. With enough detail to satisfy the demanding student, the app also offers rich illustrations and features for the casual browser. This is the perfect gift for yourself or someone who loves to learn.
• Highly accurate and accessible information created by leading doctors and practitioners.
• Over 270 specially-designed full color and zoomable high resolution images.
• 12 systems of the body – integrated body, skeletal, muscular, nervous, endocrine, cardiovascular, respiratory, skin, hair & nails, lymphatic & immune, digestive, urinary and reproductive – each with zoomable illustrations, text and annotations.
• 99 story pages with illustrations, explanatory text and annotations.
• Detailed and expandable annotations for every image.
• Testing tool for learning the parts of the body.
• Four stunning videos showing key processes in the body – the beating heart, inflammatory response, conception, and nerve impulse – each with detailed captions.
• A 3D rotatable human body with selectable layers.
• Functions you can feel – grab your iPad and feel the lungs breath, the heart beat and the nerve impulses race.
PRAISE FOR THE APP:
The Human Body app is one of just 5 Education apps picked by Apple as their ‘best of 2011’ in the Rewind 2011 promotion.
Lovie Awards 2011 –> Best Education & Reference for Tablet and Best Mobile Innovation for Tablet
Bookseller FutureBook Awards 2011 –> Best App
Apps Magazine Awards 2011 –> Best Everyday App
Effective Mobile Marketing Awards 2011 –> Highly Commended
"A highly detailed and exquisitely presented atlas of the body from Dorling Kindersley. This one is for older children but a fantastic resource for anyone with an interest in biology."
- The Daily Telegraph, 500 Best Apps
"Apps such as The Human Body show the value of iPads. It’s an exploratory experience... pick it up and explore."
-- The Telegraph
“The Human Body App is such a fine resource…there isn't any (kidney) stone this app leaves unturned."
-- The Daily
"The level of detail is hugely impressive: having sat down with the app for a few hours, we feel as if we've only scratched the surface... if you have a keen interest in the body's workings (and especially if you're studying it), this is an excellent app."
-- The Guardian
"This Human Body app will get right under your skin, allowing you to peel back the layers and zoom in on bones, organs and veins."
-- The Mirror
We are award-winning publishers for adults and children. We craft illustrated reference products – books, ebooks and apps – for people in over 100 countries and 60 languages. Founded in London in 1974 we are enormously proud to be the world's leading illustrated reference publisher.
Everything we make strives to be approachable, authoritative and beautifully illustrated.
The Dorling Kindersley Limited ("DK") DK Human Body app uses a third-party app service provider ("SiteCatalyst") in order to create accurate, real-time user data reports so that DK can continue to improve the app user experience. The service collects and submits anonymous aggregated data about which app features are being used most frequently as well as your mobile device UDID (unique phone Identifiers) and/or IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identities), which are also anonymised via a secure hashing protocol, to Adobe servers. This information will be used to continually improve the features and functionality that DK releases in its subsequent versions of its mobile apps.
A brilliant and interactive way to navigate the body
This App is an easy to use, interactive anatomical reference for the whole family.
True to DK, the illustrations are fantastically detailed, well annotated and accompanied by simple explanatory text.
A really useful revision aid for biology students of all ages, which enables them to test their knowledge of the human body by using the veiwing option button at the bottom of the screen.
This app is good value as it's the equivalent to a reference book with the added benefit of being interactive. However I'm not entirely convinced by its use of book terminologies such as chapters and stories, which I found a little confusing and not relevant to the app. All said a great transition from book to app and I look forward to using more reference apps in the future.
Great, would like more animations
This is great, I imagine it has enough detail to be used up to A level.
The animations are fantastic, if a little hard to find. My 7 year old son is entranced by them
If they were available it would be great to see more animations eg
- further development of embryo
- passage of food through gut (doesn't have to get to end!)
- contraction of a muscle, and how it works round a joint
as just a few for starters.
Another useful addition would be a search facility (if there was one, we couldn't find it)
If DK make it, I for one would buy it!
Unsure at first because of the price, however I am studying biology at college and this is extremely helpful and interesting. I covers all of the systems in the body along with all of the organ and tissue functions and structures. Do not be put off because of the price as you won't regret buying this app.
- Category: Education
- Released: 12 August 2011
- Version: 1.0
- Size: 400 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Dorling Kindersley Ltd
- Copyright © 2007, 2011 Dorling Kindersley Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.