A powerful, complete, and easy to use podcast player that will help you manage and listen to podcasts the way you want to.
Now with CarPlay support!
"Downcast: Probably The Best Podcast Downloader for iPad and iPhone" - Wired Gadget Lab
• Search, subscribe to and download audio and video podcasts of any size
• Manually subscribe to podcasts via URL
• Download podcasts automatically
• Continue podcast downloads in the background*
• Browse and download older podcast episodes
• Auto-refresh podcast feeds
• Settings for auto-download and episode retention
• Import and export podcast feeds via OPML
• Import supported audio/video media files
• Support for password-protected podcasts
• Create and edit "smart" playlists
• View podcast details and episode show notes
• Rename podcast titles
iCloud Syncing with other iOS devices or Macs**
• Podcast subscriptions
• Episode information
• Video and audio AirPlay support
• .5x, 1x, 1.25x, 1.5x, 2x, 2.25x, 2.5x and 3x speed playback
• Chapters support for enhanced podcasts
• Stream episodes without downloading
• Playback control from external devices
• Bluetooth devices
• Headphone remote controls
• Devices connected via Lightning/dock connector
• View embedded images in podcast episodes
• Gesture support
• Sleep timer
• Google Cast™ Ready
For support, please search our support site at http://support.downcastapp.com or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
For the latest information about Downcast, please follow @downcastapp on Twitter!
* Per iOS restrictions
** iCloud syncing with Macs requires Downcast for Mac, which is a separate purchase from the Mac App Store
• Fixes sorting on import UI in iOS 12
• Better handling of incorrectly configured captive networks
• Better handling of feed URL changes
• Drops support for watchOS 2
Ratings and Reviews
This is my primary podcasting up for its power user features. I used to love it and swear by it as it was stable and allowed me to have fine grain control on all aspects of my podcasting experience.
Unfortunately, the app has become less stable and has not innovated in any way for quite some time. Other podcasting apps have been adding features and improvements to the UI. While the UI is functional here, it needs some redesign to bring it up with the current times. In terms of features, I'd like to see some form of podcast triage as Downcast is the app that occupies most space on my device with 6GB+ used due to the downloading of new episodes in the background. Although I can change new episode actions, the triage solution would work much better imo.
Also, while I’m grateful the developer has released an update (despite being minor) the fact that it literally took 1 year to do this tells you this app is not really being supported. If you’re new I’d look at an alternative for now
Has got buggy of late...
... Downcast has become a bit buggy as of late. When I finish listening to a podcast and delete it, if there are no more podcasts to listen to, then the cell for that podcast moves to the empty section of the table. After that, when I tap a cell, the wrong podcast is shown. I also have a podcast that I get error for when trying to download new episodes (it'll stream fine) whereas other podcast apps seem to be able to download it ok. Also been experiencing intermittent crashes (which might have something to do with the bug in the podcasts table I mentioned above).
I'll have to move on to a different app due to these issues, but I've given you an in-app purchase tip before doing so, as I've had years of service from this app.
I'll be back when the bugs are fixed up.
Over the years I've tried all the podcast apps and I always come back to Downcast. There are so many reasons to recommend it, but if I had to pick one I'd say it is the way the app allows you to meticulously order the podcasts you subscribe to. I always feel a little sad the way Overcast seems to get all the plaudits because it's made by Marco Arment (please don't take this personally Marco, I love ATP!), and Downcast never seems to get a mention. Not only have I purchased the app, but I'm happy to regularly 'tip' the developer as I use Downcast every day and I very much appreciate it! Fantastic!
- Jamawkinaw Enterprises LLC
- 42.5 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2010-2018 Jamawkinaw Enterprises LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Encouraging Tip £2.99
- Motivating Tip £5.99
- Inspiring Tip £11.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.