Duolingo - Learn Spanish, French and more
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Duolingo is Apple's iPhone App of the Year!
Duolingo is the world's most popular way to learn languages with over 170 million users.
23 languages to choose from. Super fun and free — Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Irish, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Turkish, Norwegian, Polish, Hebrew, Esperanto, Vietnamese, Ukrainian, Welsh, Greek, Hungarian, Romanian, and Swahili. Oh, and English too.
"Far and away the best language-learning app." —The Wall Street Journal
"Duolingo may hold the secret to the future of education." —TIME Magazine
PC Magazine Editors' Choice for Language Learning: "Among iPhone apps for learning or practicing a language, you can't beat Duolingo."
"The most productive means of procrastination I’ve ever discovered. The short lesson blocks are painless and peppy, and reaching the next level (and then the level after that) becomes addictive." —Slate
Duolingo is changing the way people learn languages.
With Duolingo, you learn a language for free. You have fun while you learn, leveling up and competing with friends.
Yeah, it's pretty sweet.
What's New in Version 5.1.5
- Now you can redo completed lessons without losing any health!
- A bunch of bug fixes and performance improvements.
- We're hiring iOS devs! Help us bring free language education to the world: duolingo.com/jobs
Just what I needed
As a self taught Japanese speaker there's certain areas that are harder to get used to and this app does a good job at covering those tricky topics, things I've struggled with for a while are finally so clear to me. Only downsides are as follows:
- I've already got hiragana down but have to practice it unnecessarily
- I am starting to pick patterns like the use of capitalisation let's me know which word to start with (which often feels like cheating so I'm not remembering the answer but automatically using that shortcut as a reminder) helping me get answers right I would have otherwise got wrong
- finally i find it annoying that it often gives you sounds when asking "what sound does this make". The question becomes redundant because it makes the sound, so you're not learning or practicing, you are literally listening to the answer, and I always have sound on because for other questions it's idea because listening is my weakest skill at the moment.
I think they need to remove annunciation from "what sound" questions, and remove capitalisation from the "pick words" questions.
I may sound critical but as someone that's used so many apps I do think this is the best one so far and I'd highly recommend it.
Keep up the good work 😊👍
Seems like a good idea but...
I've noticed some of the translations are a little bit suspect.
In the sense that they're either translated how professional translators would translate things which is where you paraphrase to make it flow nicer in the other language (nothing wrong with this obviously, but it seems stupid in a language learning course because there can easily be more than one answer then) or they just have a wrong translation. For example "美味しい" in Japanese means "delicious" not "good".
The reason why I gave this such a low rating was because after having studied Japanese for a few years and seeing the way they teach it, it makes me wonder about the other language courses they offer. Do they all have basic mistakes like this?
I love this app. It's a great way to learn new languages but I do have some complaints. The first is the question where you have to speak into the microphone. Whatever I say I'll always get it right. Once I messed up in the middle of a sentence and spoke gibberish and it still said I was correct. Another complaint is this "fluency milestone" thing. After completing basics 1 (for Spanish) a message told me I was 2% fluent in Spanish but I've progressed a lot and it still haven't told me my percentage. I checked my sisters app and she gets notified constantly so I don't get why it's not appearing for me.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Education
- Updated: 17 July 2017
- Version: 5.1.5
- Size: 98.7 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Developer: Duolingo, Inc
- © 2015 Duolingo, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Streak Repair£2.99
- Basket of Gems£4.99
- Streak Repair£4.99
- Streak Repair£9.99
- Basket of Gems£1.99
- Pile of 40 Gems£1.99
- Chest of Gems£9.99
- Basket of Gems£0.99
- Barrel of Gems£19.99
- Streak Repair£11.99