The Encyclopedia of Arda is an indispensible reference guide to the works of J.R.R. Tolkien, based on the popular Website of the same name. The Encyclopedia contains around 4,000 individual entries, many with additional features such as maps, family trees and images.
Also included in the Encyclopedia are a selection of articles and reference guides, including a detailed lexicon and a guide to old and rare words used in Tolkien's works. The interactive Chronicle and Calendar let you explore the history of Middle-earth from its earliest times, and the Encyclopedia even contains detailed guides to the recent film versions of The Lord of the Rings.
- Search the Encyclopedia, choose from an A-Z index, or browse articles by topic. Each entry is rich in hypertext links, letting you freely explore the world of Middle-earth and beyond.
- Many entries provide their own factbox and timeline, along with maps, genealogical charts, and images.
- The Chronicle of Arda lets you explore any period from Middle-earth's history. The Interactive Calendar lets you choose dates in any of seven different calendars and see which events took place on those dates.
- Language guides include a dictionary of old and rare words used by Tolkien, and also a lexicon explaining the origins of many names of characters and places in Elvish and other languages.
- The 'Excyclopedia' feature is an additional guide to less canonical topics, exploring concepts from Tolkien's earlier work, and related topics from other sources.
- This is a standalone app that works completely independently of the Encyclopedia of Arda Website; no Internet connection is required.
ABOUT THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ARDA:
The Encyclopedia of Arda has been a popular source of Tolkien lore on the Web since 1997. Visit the Encyclopedia of Arda site at http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/
The app includes reference information on more than 4,000 topics, including maps, charts and genealogies. Also included are detailed analyses of all three Lord of the Rings films, and also The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Movie guides for The Desolation of Smaug and There and Back Again will be released soon!
The Encyclopedia app was developed by Virtix Ltd: visit our Website at http://www.virtix.co.uk/
The Encyclopedia of Arda is not an official reference work.
iOS 6 Compatibility issue addressed
Ratings and Reviews
Love the history of middle earth
Then this for you,it is fully comprehensive and covers everything.
Mine of information!
This is a very beautiful and informative app, with everything you could possibly want to know about all the ages of Middle-Earth. Information on every character and place, with timelines and maps for everything. If I was to make one small suggestion for an update, it would be for enlarged maps or at least a facility to zoom in more. Otherwise, highly recommended for Middle-Earth fans.
Really really good !!!
Beautifully designed app. Incredibly easy to navigate. The detail and comprehensiveness of the information is truly impressive. You can get lost in it for hours. Well worth the price for anyone with an interest in Tolkien's books, the films, or LOTRO. On the iPhone it's small but readable, but on the iPad it is really wonderful.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.