Easily create, open and preview popular archive files like ZIP, RAR, 7z, TGZ and more ( 30+ formats supported ).
An unparalleled feature set makes Entropy the ultimate archiving app:
• EXTRACT all major archive formats
• CREATE highly compressed archives with easy
• PROTECT your data using industrial strength encryption
• PREVIEW files inside an archive without extracting it - as easily as Finder
• MODIFY existing archives - no need to extract and re-archive files anymore
• CUSTOMIZE Entropy via detailed preference options
• BUILT-IN Password Manager.
• FILTER out unnecessary files that clutter archives ( like .DS_Store )
• SCRIPTING support for power users via AppleScript + Python for automating tasks
• DUAL-MODE: switch between auto-extract and content-view modes.
Designed for OS X
Entropy has been designed specifically for your Mac. It supports OS X specific technologies like extended file attributes and resource forks, which are often missing in other archives.
Equal attention has been paid to aesthetics, usability and technology while developing Entropy.
Entropy directly reads and writes archives, unlike most other archivers for Mac which are simply "front-ends". The end result is that Entropy is often discernibly faster.
If you ever have any problems with Entropy, just send an email to email@example.com and we'll help you solve it - fast!
- Bug fixes for OS X 10.9 (Mavericks).
- Fixed issues with RAR v5 archives.
- Fixed a bug that could lead to symbolic links being stored as regular files in RAR archives.
- Fixed issues with Quick Look previews.
- Fixed a bug that could lead to file modes being ignored for tar archives.
Ratings and Reviews
Reliable, powerful and intuitive. This app offers me all that I need for archiving and unarchiving files. It processes a wide variety of file types with ease. Finally, I like the interface which is clean uncluttered and appealing to the eye. To date I have had no issues with this app and would not hesitate to recommend it.
Really good archive manager for your Mac
If you have a need to archive, unarchive, browse large archives and extract only one file etc - this tool is absolutely irreplaceable (and it looks good too)!
After years of using The Unarchiver + Keka + tar xzf , I came to my senses and forked out for this one. Don't get me wrong those are really good tools (and free). But this one is just better.
Oh, and did I mention that after contacting their support over some small issue I got reply so fast that I didn't have time to finish my coffee? Well, true story.
Powerful, Smart & Slick
Entropy is a slick archive app that can be an unarchiver utility that runs in the background much as the default OSX unarchiver does. However when it comes to archive creation this app has it all. I don't know why there's not screenshots of the options for this app as some of it's true power, to me, is hidden in there such as:
This app has file filtering abilities to screen out unwanted files such as .svn or ._ files from being added to archives.
I really like the presets - you can have as many as you like with options such as encryption password (optional), compression amount, split files and destination folder all preconfigured so they're (almost) a one-click process.
You can set CMD key to toggle Entropy's response when you double click an archive - so instead of just unarchiving immediately it will open the app so you can browse the contents with quick look (spacebar). In fact it has the same file/folder navigating keyboard shortcuts as Finder.
You can also delete files/folders from archives and re-save the archive without creating a new archive.
The reason I've only given it 4 stars as the one thing you can't do (yet as I've brought this up with the developer) is drag a bunch of files to the dock icon and it spring into action. It does respond to an archive being dropped onto it, but not files you want to create a new archive with.. this feature is coming though.
If you like the sound of the app may I suggest you grab the 15day demo and try it out.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.