NOTE: It is recommended you first look at the newer version Filterstorm Neue.
"It's the closest you'll get to Aperture or Lightroom on your iPhone" - Wired Magazine
Filterstorm has been designed from the ground up to meet your iPad and iPhone photo editing needs. Using a uniquely crafted touch interface, Filterstorm allows for more intuitive editing than its desktop counterparts with a toolset designed for serious photography. A favorite of Photojournalists, Filterstorm is at home in a professional workflow, or for anyone who simply wants to get the most out of their pictures while on the road.
Filterstorm contains a suite of powerful tools including layers, curves manipulation, color correction abilities, noise reduction, sharpening, vignetting, and black and white conversion fine-tuning. It also includes the powerful ability to adjust masks by brush, color range, gradient, and vignettes.
Tutorial videos are available at http://filterstorm.com and are linked to from within the app.
• Layers (Max 5 at a time. When a 6th is added, the bottom two layers will be automatically merged)
• Ability to apply adjustments to entire image, by brush, gradient, color range, vignette, or selecting opacity.
• Send images via FTP and SFTP as well as standard export options
• Export high-res images.
• Save edits as automations to apply to other images
• Edit masks with brushes (adjustable size, softness, and opacity)
• Edit masks with gradients
• Edit masks by color selection
• Edit masks by vignette
• Combine multiple images using layers and masks
• Curves: Luminance, RGB, Red, Green, Blue, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow
• Levels tool: Luminance, RGB, Red, Green, Blue, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow
• Color balance
• White point picker
• Text tool
• Black and white fine-tuning
• Image editing History
• Cropping, with the ability to specify aspect ratio
• Scaling/Scale to Fit
• Rotation & Image Straightening
• Add Borders
• Combine multiple exposures
• Vignetting (circular, or oval scaled to image aspect ratio)
• Tone map (Simulated HDR)
• Noise reduction
• Add noise
• Clone Tool
• Numerous layer blend modes
• EXIF support for JPEG and some RAWs
• IPTC support: For a full list of supported metadata tags, visit Filterstorm's website at http://filterstorm.com
Recommended by "Rough Guide to the iPad"
"Filterstorm was designed for the iPad from the beginning, and is a study in limitation and excellence." - App Craver
"While Filterstorm certainly won’t replace your image-optimization workflow on your desktop computer, it can prove useful (and fun) enough that you will want to put it to use for quick adjustments to fine-tune an image you want to share via your iPad. " - Digital Photo Pro
• Classic Filterstorm Returns! Filterstorm Classic will be in active development alongside Filterstorm Neue.
• Updated Interface Appearance (behavior remains the same)
• Adds Clarity/Vibrance Filter
• Export function now uses standard system saving dialogue (you can send to twitter/facebook, etc. this way)
• Updates FTP/SFTP support
• Removes old Facebook/Twitter/Flickr APIs
• Bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Avoid this app at all costs. After editing it will not export to the photo album on iOS. It used to work perfectly now refuses to export and just crashes. The developer doesn’t seem to be interested at all.
Brilliant ...until IOS11
Great app, the best Photoediting tool I’ve used on an iPad. Then IOS11 came along and not it is unusable - crashes everytime I try to save an edited image.
Very user unfriendly
I'm genuinely quite good at figuring out how apps work but this one has me stumped. Usability is terrible.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.