By Brothers Roloff
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Keep a copy of your project mirrored on an external drive or a file server. FolderWatch syncs your project while you work, making sure your copy stays up-to-date at all times. Simply have FolderWatch monitor a folder on your computer and then add, edit or delete files anywhere inside that folder. FolderWatch pushes those changes in real-time to the destination of your choosing.
*** Featured as Apple Staff Favorite in June 2011 ***
• File changes by FolderWatch are irreversible.
• FolderWatch is intended to make ONE-WAY BACKUPS ONLY. If you wish to sync across multiple computers or locations, use a product like iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive or SkyDrive instead of FolderWatch.
• Rsync is an open-source sync engine that powers FolderWatch. We cannot provide customer support for Rsync.
• FolderWatch will not create a bootable backup drive as it cannot access the protected parts of your OS. Use a product like TimeMachine for backing up your entire computer.
• FolderWatch will not connect to servers. You must manually mount server volumes before it can access them.
• You may experience mixed or poor results under the following conditions: 1.) The size or number of files you have is large. 2.) The connection speed to your destination is slow. 3.) The filesystem of your drive is not HFS-Plus. 4.) The network protocol used to access file servers is not AFP.
Beautiful, Easy to Use
• Full Retina-display support.
• Harness the power of Rsync with a simple, drag & drop interface.
• Built-in visual user guide with integrated FAQ.
• Run FolderWatch in the background with the Menu Bar Helper.
• FolderWatch only copies files that have changed, saving you time and bandwidth.
• Let FolderWatch monitor and sync changes as they occur, or do it yourself on-demand.
• Ships with the newest version of Rsync*
Preserve Additional Layers of the Filesystem
• Mac OS meta data - icon previews, iPhoto packages, label colors, etc.
• Modification timestamps.
• Unix symbolic links can be copied or followed*
• A spinning indicator means FolderWatch is scanning for changes.
• A circular pie progress bar shows how many files FolderWatch has copied.
• See the number of files and data transferred when a sync completes.
• Growl notifications with optional sounds.
Comprehensive, Real-Time Logging
• All file changes performed by FolderWatch appear in the log as they happen.
• FolderWatch displays the differences it found when comparing your files.
• See the inner-workings of the app and how it queues synchronization tasks.
• See exactly which file paths FolderWatch is watching.
Works with the Finder
• Use FolderWatch to easily show or hide hidden files in the Finder*
• Manually refresh the file listing of a window if the Finder remains outdated*
• From FolderWatch, quickly jump to your source or destination folder in the Finder.
• Option to overwrite files that have newer modification times.
• Option to delete extra files in destination which are not in the source.
• Compare files by file size, modification time or checksum.
• Exclude certain file types, directories or individual files.
Tool for Rsync Experts
• Use the Sync Queue log to see how Rsync is being executed via the Terminal.
• You can copy the Terminal commands FolderWatch used to the clipboard.
• Enable log warnings to troubleshoot Rsync problems in the Recent Events log.
* To comply with Apple's sandboxing requirement in the future, these features are subject to change.
What's New in Version 2.0.5
• Fixed bugs with the Menu Bar Helper that were introduced in the previous release.
• Reduced file size of the app.
This app is now much improved. Technically it is 4 stars, but I'm generous like that
* I discontinued using it FW because it didn't have 2-way syncing … now it does
* from memory I believe it didn't operate through a remote mounted server (mounted via Transmit … now it does
The combination is power.
In addition you get several layers of features to facilitate sycing or more specifically 'mirrowing'
Combining FW with Transmit some how slows my system, or makes it bumpier … I've yet to trace the source it not the RAM (hence should be 4*).
No sync-app compares to this!
Nothing else on WIndows, nothing else on Mac OS!
Super easy to use and super effiicient!
But has problems syncing over the network after the drive disconnects from the network, or the computer goes to sleep.
I wish the menu-bar helper had indicator lights next to the folder-pair items for easier view if one is on, off or syncing.
Does what you expect/hope it will
All good here. This app has been faultless in the 2 months I have been using it to sync data to my NAS from my Mac Book Pro