Packaged foods can be surprisingly high in salt, saturated fat, added sugar and kilojoules/calories. FoodSwitch has a database of packaged foods to help you identify those that are better for you.
In three simple steps, FoodSwitch can help you towards better health by reducing the salt, fat and sugar in your diet:
1. Scan barcodes of packaged foods with your camera;
2. See simple nutrition information on the food you’ve scanned;
3. See similar foods that are healthier based on established nutrition criteria.
4. Identify Vegetarian products easily.
FoodSwitch comes with handy filters to suit different health needs:
- FoodSwitch Classic is for anyone looking to make generally healthier food choices.
- SaltSwitch has been designed to help people lower their salt intake and is great for people with, or being treated for, high blood pressure.
- FatSwitch has been designed to help people with, or being treated for, high cholesterol
- EnergySwitch can help people choose foods lower in kilojoules/calories
- SugarSwitch helps people choose healthier foods with less total sugar
- You can view the nutrition information in two modes:
1. Health Star Ratings – shows the overall healthiness of a product from 0.5 to 5 stars; the higher the star rating, the healthier the food.
2. Traffic Light Labels – if a product is low (green), medium (amber) or high (red) for salt, sugar, fat and saturated fat;
- Save your healthy favourites on personalised lists.
- Help us track the food supply by sending us pictures of new foods.
Download the app today and find out for yourself why respected health organisations around the world like FoodSwitch!
FoodSwitch is owned and operated by The George Institute for Global Health. The UK version of FoodSwitch is a partnership between Consensus Action on Salt, Sugar & Health (CASSH) and The George Institute for Global Health.
For more information about FoodSwitch and answers to commonly asked questions, visit www.foodswitch.co.uk
Product Comparison Functionality
Improved Product Scanner
Updated Product Database
Improved Healthier Choice Recommendations
Minor Bug Fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Great app! Makes reading the labels a lot easier to understand, and so useful in recommending healthier alternatives of similar foods. This will help me and my family eat healthier, and I love that you can help update the products as I know they are constantly changing. Will highly recommend!
Developer Response ,
Hi Susan, thanks for your great feedback and I'm glad you are enjoying the app! Please continue to send in products using the help us out functionality in order for us to build our database even further so we can provide you with more products to scan and compare. Keep up the great work!
Really good app! Helped me make so many healthier choices already 👍🏻 everyone needs this
Not impressed yet
This app should be incredible, but perhaps they've launched it too early as I've scanned a few things today and none of them seem to be recognised? I just scanned a baby Lindt bunny and it didn't recognise that, I mean that's quite a big brand so not very impressed as of yet
- The George Institute for Global Health
- 72.6 MB
- Health & Fitness
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © The George Institute for Global Health
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.