Footpath lets you plan routes and measure distances in seconds. Trace a map, and Footpath will snap to roads and trails.
Plan out that perfect 5k, morning ride, scenic backroads tour, or multiday mountain traverse. Know exactly what elevations you'll be climbing and what splits to expect. Footpath allows you to map out routes quicker and easier than ever before.
Join hundreds of thousands of users using Footpath and plan your next adventure.
SNAP TO MAP
Quickly measure distances by tracing a map. Footpath will snap to roads and trails on the map.
MEASURE DISTANCE AND ELEVATION
Know exactly how far and how high you'll travel. Plan a route that matches your goals.
SAVE ROUTES FOR LATER
Follow your progress along the route while out your run, ride, or hike
Perfect for running clubs, riding buddies, or worried significant others
SHOW OFF YOUR ADVENTURES
Overlay your route and stats on photos you've taken
SYNC BETWEEN DEVICES
Plan on an iPad and follow the route on your run, ride, or hike. (Sign up for a free account).
Footpath is designed to work for pretty much any activity or adventure, in any country:
• Cycling and mountain biking
• Hiking and mountaineering
• Motorcycling and driving
• Backcountry skiing
• Kayaking and standup paddleboarding
• And many more!
Purchase Footpath Elite for a single route or as an annual subscription and unlock the following additional features:
• Save unlimited routes
• Edit saved routes
• Download offline maps
• Premium topo maps with coverage worldwide:
-- Footpath Outdoors (Worldwide)
-- OpenCycleMap (Worldwide)
-- Thunderforest Outdoors (Worldwide)
-- IGN (France)
-- IGN (Spain)
-- Swisstopo (Switzerland)
-- And many more!
• Custom map overlays
-- Contour labels in meters and feet
-- Cycle lanes
-- Slope angle shading
• 3D maps
• Manually log workouts to Apple Health
• Cue sheets & splits
• Export to GPX or KML files
You can purchase a Footpath Elite annual subscription (£13.49/year) through your iTunes account. Your subscription will automatically renew unless cancelled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Auto-renew can be turned off anytime by going to the Manage Subscriptions page in settings after purchase, and your features will remain active until the end of the subscription period.
If you do not want to purchase a subscription, you may also purchase Footpath Elite on a route-by-route basis with a Single Route Pass for as many routes as you'd like.
TIPS FOR MAPPING ROUTES
• For longer routes, try zooming in and mapping your route in multiple segments.
• Tap and hold the map to quickly route between waypoints and POIs.
• Did Footpath snap to the wrong roads? Trace over the incorrect segment to edit, or use the eraser tool.
• Turn off snap to roads (magnet icon) and zoom in to manually trace the map. (Try switching to a satellite layer).
We've got a lot planned for Footpath. If you have any suggestions or feedback, or if you run into any issues, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms of Service: https://footpathapp.com/terms
Improved importing of GPX files.
The screen will now stay on if the map is centered on your current location.
Fixed an issue when typing in Chinese or Japanese.
Footpath 3 is our biggest update ever. We've spent the last few months redesigning the app, bringing you all new maps, and improving our snapping algorithms.
We've got a lot more in store for you this fall.
ALL NEW DESIGN AND MAPS
We've redesigned Footpath from the ground up to make it easier than ever to create routes.
We've also added a number of beautiful topographic maps from around the world for Footpath Elite users, including our own Footpath Outdoors Maps. We've also added custom map overlays like bike paths and slope angle shading.
NEW EDITING TOOLS
Sometimes Footpath doesn't snap to exactly the right road. Now, you can correct your route by zooming in and tracing back over the problematic section. Even better, there's now an eraser tool to remove or smooth out any part of the route.
DOWNLOAD OFFLINE MAPS (Elite)
Download maps for a route and navigate completely offline
Opening a Footpath link on the web or sharing a link via Airdrop will open it right in the app. You can also overlay your route on photos you've taken.
FREE SYNCING FOR EVERYONE
Sign up for a free account to sync your routes across devices. Plan a route on your iPad, and take it out with you on your iPhone.
SUPPORT FOR OVER 30 ACTIVITIES
You can now choose from over 30 activities, including mountain biking, motorcycling, backcountry skiing, kayaking, sailing, and more.
VISUALIZE YOUR ROUTES IN 3D (Elite)
You can now create and view routes on 3D satellite maps. Scope out the terrain or relive your favorite adventure.
MANUALLY SAVE WORKOUTS TO APPLE HEALTH (Elite)
If ever GPS lets you down.
If you're enjoying Footpath:
• Leave us a review on the App Store
• Let us know if you have any feedback or suggestions: email@example.com
Ratings and Reviews
Plan routes easily with your finger.
Huge thanks to the devs for iPhone X support
This app is massively under rated. It is monumentally useful for anyone who wants to plan a route and then be able to export as gpx. It skips the bells and whistles but what it does, it absolutely nails. I myself am an avid hiker and i cant express just how good it is being able to sketch out a route with my finger and have it snap not just to roads, but footpaths etc.
I thought the devs might have stopped developing the app but im so happy to see its now been updated for iPhone X and the “Query limit” bug has been fixed for the ascent/descent graph.
A couple of features id love to see added are:
- ability to scan an imported gpx and automatically have it snap the route to the nearest footpaths/roads. I ask for this because i download a huge number of gpx files where the route is a little rough due to lack of waypoints. This can result in distance/altitude accuracy problems (as well as making navigation difficult occasionally). It would be wonderful if the app could sort of autocorrect this by making a best effort to snap an imported gpx to proper paths.
- better gpx editing features. For example, it would be great if you could select two waypoints, and then draw in a new section of route between them. At the moment you can only edit so far as removing the last waypoint that was added; so it would be great to have extra features in this regard.
Thanks for the review! We're really happy to hear that Footpath has been helpful to you for hiking.
To your other points: Footpath 3 made it much easier to edit your routes or imported GPX files—we added an eraser tool and the ability to trace over the existing route to snap to different paths.
We're still playing around with a feature that lets you snap an imported GPX file to roads, so stay tuned :).
Truly a great app
Terrific app for planning a bike route or a hike. Allows access to Opencycle maps plus Googlemaps, street, satellite plus others. A few things that I really like are the 'snap to road/path' facility, the hill contours and a nifty button to show the elevation through the route. I also love the facility to export geo files to use in other apps (through 'open in) or to import into other devices. I tend to plan a route using Footpath, then 'share' a gpx file with the Bike Hub app through 'open in' for spoken route instructions to my destination. Finally my routes are automatically uploaded into iCloud, so I can create the route on my big screen iPad and view it and use it on my iPhone. Great stuff.
- Half Mile Labs LLC
- 74.1 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- ©2018 Half Mile Labs LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Footpath Elite £7.99
- Footpath Elite £13.49
- One Month Pass £3.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.