An educational game to learn the location of notes on the fretboard of the guitar and other stringed instruments. Eleven instruments are available, including bass (4/5/6 strings), mandolin, ukulele and banjo.
You are presented with a random note on the fretboard, and are offered a variety of choices for the correct answer. Just pick the button corresponding to the correct choice to score a hit!
The new staff training mode also helps you learn the position of notes on the musical staff on the fretboard of your instrument.
As your score gets better and you manage to identify notes faster across the entire fretboard, your working knowledge of the instrument increases!
Game mode provides a fun way to make progress. Work your way through levels of increasing difficulty and compete with your friends!
WHAT ARTISTS SAY ABOUT THE APP
“ Learning the notes on the fretboard is key to any guitarist's development on the instrument, and [Fretuoso] is a neat way to get that info burned into your brain without having to carry a guitar with you everywhere you go. Pretty cool! ”
-- Bryan Beller (Dethklok, Steve Vai, Mike Keneally)
“ This is one of the best apps I've seen in a while. It's simple, fun and educational. Very useful for guitar players as a lot of [them] tend to play by ear and not care much about knowing the fretboard. ”
-- Rick Musallam (Mike Keneally, Gryphon Labs)
- Train your ear while improving your working knowledge of the instrument.
- Learn the position of notes on the musical staff; say goodbye to tabs!
- Ten different beautiful, realistic-looking instruments! Includes 4 guitars, 3 basses, mandolin, ukulele and banjo.
- Focus your training on particular parts of the fretboard: any range of frets, any subset of the strings.
- Many common tunings are built in, but custom tunings can also be created.
- Visualize your progress on the fretboard; statistics are kept for every fret.
- Smart Learning Engine: the app automatically focuses on sections of the fretboard where you are weaker.
- Integration with Game Center, Twitter and Facebook: compete with your friends and share your progress!
- Left-handed mode is available.
This version comes with free access to a limited subset of each of the available instruments. Each of the instruments can be fully unlocked via in-app purchase.
Please e-mail us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions or requests so we may assist you!
Ratings and Reviews
Game is broken
Great concept but contains an annoying bug which ruins the experience. Sometimes the game will give you the wrong notes. For example, it incorrectly mixes up a C Flat on the B string 2nd fret with a D Sharp on the third fret (same string). This has happened several times now so I can tell it isn’t just an isolated incident.
Great app but keep crashing
Very Good, with room for improvement
This is one of the better fret training apps out there. Nice, slick interface and lots of instrument options.
I agree with the other reviewer, a 'play the fret' mode would be a welcome addition to just 'guess the note being played'. 5 stars if you introduce this feature developers.
This is not a guitar playing app (other apps will do that better) so ignore the review that gave this one star because it wasn't what they were expecting.
In-App PurchasesSee All
- Catloaf Software LLC
- 119.2 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Catloaf Software LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Guitar £2.99
- All Instruments £6.99
- Ukulele £2.99
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.