Front Flash - selfies in the dark
By Sindre Sorhus
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Satisfy your selfie craving even in the dark!
‣ “Used this app at a birthday party tonight and it works fantastically. Took selfies with it all night, in a dark room and photos came out great. Great app!” - GLouBu
‣ “Really simple and easy to use app. But that's all you need! Snap a picture in low light with the touch of your finger anywhere on the screen. I love it! Great camera app!.” - MrMikeG
‣ “This app does exactly what it promises! Now the photos I take with my front camera in the dark look so great! :)” - thechampishere93
〉Take self-portraits in low-light using the front camera
〉Tap anywhere on the screen to take a picture
〉Can also be used as a mirror
〉Share with your friends
Perfect for those times when you want to take a selfie in bed, but usually can't since it's pitch black.
It creates a virtual flash by setting the screen brightness to max and turning the screen white while the picture is being taken. The brightness will reset back when you close the app.
Feedback welcome: email@example.com
Photos by Helga Weber (1st screenshot), Daniel Zedda (3rd screenshot), Metin Demiralay (4th screenshot).
What's New in Version 1.1.1
Okay but potential to be great!
The flash itself is good, though I'd recommend these improvements:
- Have an on screen button like iOS camera to take the pic, as currently you just press anywhere on screen which leads to lots of accidental pics. Or even make it a double-tap. Just anything to make it harder to accidentally shoot pics when your arm is outstretched for selfies.
- It would also be great if the images auto-saved. It's easy enough to go back through and delete unwanted snaps BUT at present you have to decide to DELETE or SAVE after each individual pic. It would be great if you could shoot multiple pics and then browse back through for your favourites in your camera roll just like iOS.
Having to decide after each pic is an inconvenience. Especially if taking a pic with a friend and having to tell them to 'hold on' while you choose to del/save each one.
- It would be great to have a preview. Obviously the screen needs to be white to provide the light, so currently it's guess work as to what will be within the picture. It would be great if the screen could light up white to illuminate the subject of the photo, with just a very small preview screen to check that what you want is actually in the photo. So essentially a white screen with small preview (like the small pre view of yourself during a Facetime conversation).
As at present you're literally just looking at a black screen. White would illuminate the subjects and a small preview would just give you the opportunity to check all is good with your pic before snapping :)
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Photo & Video
- Updated: 28 January 2015
- Version: 1.1.1
- Size: 3.1 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Norwegian Bokmål, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Developer: Sindre Sorhus
- © Sindre Sorhus
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.