Get Running (Couch to 5K)
By Benjohn Barnes
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Want to get fit and feel fantastic? Want to add some fresh air to your exercise? Then Get Running with the best Couch to 5k App!
With three enjoyable workouts a week, in nine weeks you will be running continuously for half an hour, even if getting off the couch is a struggle today!
Get Running breaks through the “beginning barrier” with its enormously popular Couch to 5k running plan. In week one’s workouts you'll alternate one minute of running with 90 seconds of walking. With each new week, Get Running’s human voice coach gradually builds up your pace, until you’re running for a whole half-hour!
Get Running is the only Couch to 5K App that:
• Coaches like a human – with hundreds of studio-recorded progress and encouragement prompts.
• Supports and encourages you – talk with fellow running rookies on the Get Running forum.
• Lets you share (NEW!) – share Get Running with up to three other runners: you all get your own log and settings!
• Helps you plan – rest days help you recover, and Get Running knows the best day for your next run.
• Displays your next move – the unique Run Clock, customised for each workout, gives complete visibility and understanding.
In addition, Get Running:
• Publishes your success – send updates to Twitter or Facebook, and have your friends remind you when the next run is due!
• Works with or without music – To adjust your music during a run, double press the Home button.
• Fits your schedule – just three workouts a week of 20 to 30 minutes.
• Logs your achievements – with an illuminating visual record of your progress.
Thousands of people have changed their lives with Get Running and you will too! Whether you’re running for your health, training for a 5K, or building to conquer a marathon — Get Running!
Get Running's users say:
• Just finished week 9 run 3 and all I can say is this app changed my life. Great job.
• I LOVE your app. I have tried several but Yours is the BEST for me. I am 60 years young this year & a cancer survivor. I have set the goal to run 5 K races. I use your program as my trainer, it is SUPER. Thank You. – Vickie Wheeler by email
• I tried the top selling "Couch to 5k" App before I purchased this one, and this one is much nicer to use. The voice reminders are very helpful. I like how it pauses your music instead of talking over it. I highly recommend it over the others.
• Thank you so much for this little gem of an app. I had a look at others like it but this wins hands down. It is so brilliantly simple with a great interface.
• Thank you! This app has changed my life. I was unfit and didn't do any regular exercise. I always blamed my asthma for being the reason I couldn't run for longer than a minute, but now I know it's because I was unfit! I have signed up for a 5k race too! – @amyriddett on Twitter
• Really great app. I'm actually looking forward to running. I listen to podcasts and this app is terrific at pausing the show to make it's announcements. I don't miss anything that was said. Outstanding.
What's New in Version 1.11.0
This is a major bug fix for iOS 7 and Facebook sign-in issues. We've tweaked the user interface for iOS 7 too, but there are more improvements in the pipeline…
Thank you for your awesome feedback and suggestions. You are wonderful customers!
Get Running team
Gets you running
I've never been a "runner", in fact I would go so far as to say I've always hated running. I blame school cross-country half a lifetime ago for that.
Running is cheap, simple and generally good for you - we all know this, but still this app sat on my phone doing nothing for months. Finally, after much umming, ahhing and excuse-making, one day several weeks ago I just went out and did it.
I'm now about to start week seven. It's not always been easy, and I still have a way to go, but I can't fault the results: I'm running. Sure, my technique is probably appalling, and I sometimes feel that if I were to stop focussing on my breathing for even a minute I'd just collapse in a heap. That first 20 minute non-stop run took everything I had (and a little that I didn't!). And there've been times I've actually pleaded out loud for the app to tell me I'm nearly done, but I'm still running...
Update - Two (and a bit) years later and I'm still running! I'm now a regular at Parkrun, have completed a couple of 10K races and just registered for my first half marathon. Most importantly, I'm fitter and happier than I've ever been. I've reused this app a couple of times to recover after illness/injury and it's just great. I'd recommend this app wholeheartedly to anyone who wants to Get Running.
I haven't run since school and have always been too nervous/ had no desire to run outside, but inspired by the thought of setting and achieving a goal, I signed up to a 5k charity run with my friends and downloaded this app, and it's been brilliant! It really took me from couch to 5k in 9 weeks. At first you do te same run 3 times, and you can feel it getting easier, and then a few weeks in you're running double, triple a time which you used to find challenging when you first started. Great things about this app include the ability to run alongside most music apps, the encouraging voice that informs you of your time and distance, and it plans your runs by date, which kept me right on track for training for my 5k. The only criticism I have is that it does it by minutes, and works by the principle that by the time you get up to running 30 mins you should be running 5k (which might not be true if you're a slow runner!) so I had to run a distance app alongside it just to make sure I was actually hitting 5k, because as far as I could tell the app wasn't measuring my distance. Overall a great app. Seeing the dates telling me when to run was the best encouragement for me.
Good but not perfect
In terms of a workout programme it's very good and it gets you up to a level of fitness in a controlled in intimidating way.
The only frustration is that the audio controls don't work well when listening to podcasts. There is a setting that says it will pause the audio when the Get Running app has a notification for you, but it just doesn't work. It only ever lowers the volume meaning you will miss bits of what you're listening to. It comes up with a warning saying it must be the the main app open for this to work but it still doesn't.
It wouldn't be as big a problem if the option to only have the the app notify you about key info worked, but it still waffles on about things that you don't need or want to hear if you've selected that option. Sure it says less, but it should only say "Run", "Stop running" and notify you of being half way. The other stuff talks over the audio meaning you'll perhaps miss something which is very frustrating.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Health & Fitness
- Updated: 16 October 2013
- Version: 1.11.0
- Size: 21.4 MB
- Languages: English, German
- Developer: Benjohn Barnes
- © 2009 Benjohn Barnes
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.