Strong free chess program.
* Free, but much stronger than most commercial iPhone chess apps!
* Plays aggressive and dynamic chess, and is not afraid of sacrificing material for initiative or attacking chances.
* Adjustable playing strength.
* Choose between several styles of play: "Passive", "Solid", "Active", "Aggressive" or "Suicidal".
* Big, deep and varied opening book. Choose between three levels of book variety.
* Displays book moves and engine analysis, including search depth, evaluations and main lines.
* Allows you to easily set up board positions.
* Able to think during the opponent's time, for maximum playing strength (disabled by default, in order to save battery life).
* Supports saving and loading games to PGN files, sending games by e-mail, and transferring PGN files between your device and your computer.
* Play against the machine, or play both sides, with or without book moves and engine analysis displayed on the screen.
* Choose from nine piece sets and eight color schemes.
* Complete source code available under the GNU General Public License.
Fixed a bug that caused the target area for the toolbar buttons to be shifted a few pixels up, making it difficult for some users to hit the buttons reliably.
Fixed broken move lists (not the one below the board, but the one that appears after tapping "Move" and "Move List" -- does anybody use this one?) on the new larger iPhones.
Ratings and Reviews
The best chess engine,
Stockfish is definitely one of the very best chess apps in the App Store. At the time of writing it has the strongest chess engine of any app. Even better it is free!
It is an absolute must for serious players and very worth getting for people who just fancy a game every now and again
While it doesn't offer as many features as some other paid Apps it is easier to use, looks better, and can hammer even the best players in the world. Luckily it comes with easy to play options for the rest of us.
(There seems to be something in the App Store called Chess _64. This seems to be direct rip-off and costs £4.99. Apologies if it is not. However Stockfish itself is so good, if the developers wanted £4 99 for it I would happily pay.)
I am not stupid! But I certainly feel it when playing this app. Have had it for years now. Played so much. But I don't feel I get any better. And hardly ever beat the AI, even on its lowest setting. In fact I see very little difference between level 20 and level 1! So I'm going elsewhere to find an easier player that makes an occasional mistake like I do! I play on the tube on way to work so lose concentration a bit. I know that's not the way to play but when you're a chess addict!? Great for chess veterans. Not that great for average players like me. I have no self esteem left
Free. Strong engine. Great for analysis. Great for opening practice. Looks fantastic with slick graphics.
A superb feature I stumbled on: save a game from, say, SocialChess into memory as a pgn and StockFish recognises it in memory and asks if you want to import! Fantastic!!
Another one I just found: If you select Load Game, there's a tonne of games from some of the best players in history ready and waiting. Just gets better this app. Awesome.
A couple of things: Please make the lines on the beautiful newspaper board slightly lighter. Please make the newspaper board available on the iPad.
An incredible achievement - thank you!
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.