Gmail - email by Google: secure, fast & organised
By Google, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The official Gmail app brings the best of Gmail to your iPhone or iPad with real-time notifications, multiple account support and search that works across all of your mail.
With the Gmail app, you can:
- Undo Send, to prevent embarrassing mistakes
- Switch between multiple accounts
- Receive notifications about new mail fast, with notification centre, badge and lock screen options
- Search your mail faster with instant results, predictions as you type and spelling suggestions
- Swipe to archive/delete, to quickly clear out your inbox
- Read your mail with threaded conversations
- Auto-complete contact names as you type from your Google contacts or your phone
- Respond to Google Calendar invitations straight from the app
- Organise your mail by archiving, labelling, starring, deleting and reporting spam
- Send and receive attachments
- See profile pictures as part of the conversation
What's New in Version 5.0.12
- 3D touch – Press hard on the app icon to compose a message quickly
- Sent messages now include your Gmail web signature unless a mobile signature has been set up
- Hide sender images in your inbox (in Settings)
- Swipe right/left to view the previous/next message
iPad app is too limited
Mostly this is fine, but I have a couple of bugbears. The main one is this: if I want to mark a email as read, I seem to have to open it and lose it. In contrast, when I use GMail as a browser tab in Chrome on my PC, I can tick boxes next to several emails and mark them all as read without having to open them at all.
My other issue is more of a suggestion: I would like to see sync enable the possibility of using the same sig file on iPad as I do on my PC. I created one on there using WiseStamp, and it looks so much better than the plain text 'Sent from my iPad' or similar.
Stop manipulating me
Every time I click on a link in my emails, instead of opening it directly in my browser of choice, the only browser on my phone, I am offered 'the choice' of opening the link in chrome which would mean me downloading chrome. . Gets very tiresome. The option to turn this off doesn't work. No surprise. Such antics are beneath you Google. Fix it.
Now almost unusable on an iPad 3 (retina display)
Painfully slow. Takes a good 10+ seconds to load the first message.
Now refuses to allow you to delete an email without having marked it as read first. No way to disable.
Now appears to auto archive emails once replied to. No way to disable.
Was basic but good, now basic, slow and useless.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: 21 February 2017
- Version: 5.0.12
- Size: 215 MB
- Languages: English, Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Armenian, Basque, Bengali, Bulgarian, Cambodian, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, Georgian, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kannada, Kazakh, Korean, Laotian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Malayalam, Marathi, Mongolian, Norwegian, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese, Zulu
- Developer: Google, Inc.
- © 2017 Google Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.