Gmail - email by Google: secure, fast & organised
By Google, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The official Gmail app brings the best of Gmail to your iPhone or iPad with real-time notifications, multiple account support and search that works across all of your mail.
With the Gmail app, you can:
- Undo Send, to prevent embarrassing mistakes
- Switch between multiple accounts
- Receive notifications about new mail fast, with notification centre, badge and lock screen options
- Search your mail faster with instant results, predictions as you type and spelling suggestions
- Swipe to archive/delete, to quickly clear out your inbox
- Read your mail with threaded conversations
- Auto-complete contact names as you type from your Google contacts or your phone
- Respond to Google Calendar invitations straight from the app
- Organise your mail by archiving, labelling, starring, deleting and reporting spam
- Send and receive attachments
- See profile pictures as part of the conversation
What's New in Version 5.0.9
- Hide senders' images in your inbox (in settings)
- Swipe right/left to view the previous/next message
- Choose your preferred browser (Safari or Chrome) for opening links (in settings)
- Edit text in-line or copy and paste content from the web while keeping the original text formatting
- Select multiple messages: Tap the sender's image or tick box next to the messages
- Mark as read/unread: Select the message and tap the ‘open/closed envelope’ icon in the top toolbar
Great mail app for Google Business users
Whilst I appreciate some users are struggling with this app due to legacy preferences, I have no history with it so as a first time user I can't see any major problems with it. It's particularly good for me with a Google Business listing and being able to switch between multiple Gmail acc's and other Google Apps on the devise(AdWords, Business and Analytics) with the click of a button. The UI is quick to pick up considering the volume of functionally that has been built in to match the full desktop browser version of Gmail. I think that's the main reason I like this app and recommend it: if you are familiar with the full version of Gmail, then choose this for its interface and graphics that you'll be familiar with.
Many steps back.
Firstly, suggestions made by previous reviews- especially the ability to swipe left/right between emails - do not work. They're mentioned in the update notes as if implemented, but are neither functional or apparent in settings (if they need to be turned on).
The new UI of this app is less usable, accessible and user-friendly than the previous, pre-Google Inbox-esque Gmail application.
A legacy app for previous Gmail users might solve some problems, but as this app crashes, freezes, has broken notifications which don't disappear until each is viewed multiple times, and doesn't often save which emails are read/unread even after refreshing, legacy might be incorrect. Functional. Working. Better. I shouldn't have upgraded.
Best Gmail client for iPhone
Fast (push?) notifications.
Reliable inbox refresh.
Handles massive mailboxes reliably.
Intermittent but reproducible crash when composing an email, switching out then into Gmail app and immediately using force touch to move the cursor. (Bug present for months.)
Can't send mail using "Send mail as" address when initiating composition from system-wide share menu, even if that address is set as default. (Present for years.)
Attaching images doesn't attach them, instead it embeds them and requires you to then wait until they upload to the server, fight to bring up the contextual menu and, select "send as attachment" (if it appears). This is a recently added "feature". Side effects include blocking the recipient from saving the image.
Custom text editing logic works less reliably than Apple's, especially with force touch.
Icon on homescreen is badged with number of unread emails in inbox but this can be confusing when signed in to multiple accounts.
Nags you to rate the app. This is why I've rated, reviewed and left bug reports here.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: 19 December 2016
- Version: 5.0.9
- Size: 201 MB
- Languages: English, Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Armenian, Basque, Bengali, Bulgarian, Cambodian, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, Georgian, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kannada, Kazakh, Korean, Laotian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Malayalam, Marathi, Mongolian, Norwegian, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese, Zulu
- Developer: Google, Inc.
- © 2016 Google Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.