By Google, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Break through language barriers with Google Translate.
• Translate 90 languages
• Converse naturally and let Google translate
• Translate with your voice, camera, keyboard or handwriting
• Star your favourite translations for quick access even when you’re offline
• View dictionary results for single words or phrases
Translations between the following languages are supported:
Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Armenian, Azerbaijani, Basque, Belarusian, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Cebuano, Chichewa, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, Georgian, German, Greek, Gujarati, Haitian Creole, Hausa, Hebrew, Hindi, Hmong, Hungarian, Icelandic, Igbo, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Javanese, Kannada, Kazakh, Khmer, Korean, Lao, Latin, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malagasy, Malay, Malayalam, Maltese, Maori, Marathi, Mongolian, Myanmar (Burmese), Nepali, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Sesotho, Sinhala, Slovak, Slovenian, Somali, Spanish, Sundanese, Swahili, Swedish, Tajik, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Uzbek, Vietnamese, Welsh, Yiddish, Yoruba, Zulu
Novosibirsk Metro image by Wikipedia user Sskz, used as per the CC-BY-SA 3.0 licence, https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/.
What's New in Version 3.3.0
• Improved stability. Fixed crash bugs.
• Improved support for the VoiceOver screen reader.
• Word Lens: Just point your camera to a sign or text and the Translate app will instantly translate the text, even without Internet/data connection. Currently available in: English ⇄ French, English ⇄ German, English ⇄ Italian, English ⇄ Portuguese, English ⇄ Russian, English ⇄ Spanish.
• Camera Mode: Snap a photo, highlight the text and get a translation. Currently available in 36 languages.
• Automatic language detection in speech/conversation mode – start translating with speech input and Translate will recognise which of the two languages is being spoken, allowing you to have a more fluid conversation with another person.
This app is amazing. I pretty much use it for Spanish exclusively, and most of the time it's (freakishly) accurate. It's like an actual Spanish person is providing me with translations, but it's not perfect. Sometimes the translations aren't very accurate when the sentence is complicated, but nevertheless, brilliant app.
One thing to report is that QuickType often disappears... This can get very annoying. I tap the box and QuickType is there; great, I can type what I need to really quickly with the suggestions. But then, it translates and the keyboard goes away because it isn't needed and to display the translation. That's fine, but when I tap the box again, QuickType isn't there. It comes and goes, and I'd prefer it to stay!
Other than that, awesome app packed with features!
One more thing: I'd love to be able to translate to Shona, the official language of Zimbabwe (and Botswana, I think).
Awesome app. If Google fix the bug with QuickType, I'll rate it 5 stars.
We used this a lot while I was staying with friends in the Czech Republic - I don't speak Czech, he doesn't speak English, she speaks both so was able to verify that this app was translating correctly 'most' of the time. Obviously, languages have nuances which can't be translated easily, so there were still some misunderstandings, but a combination of this app, charades, Googling & a simple drawing app got us through the week without us insulting each other.
Any chance of including Manx Gaelic on this app? It's still taught in schools on the Isle of Man so would be a handy addition to this app & encouraging for those campaigning to keep this language alive!
I currently run a business that deals with an assortment of different languages. Although the translation may not be perfect, it gets the message across when played down the phone to any customers. Absolutely fantastic and has helped with the language barrier and maintained excellent customer service.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: 19 March 2015
- Version: 3.3.0
- Size: 24.6 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Developer: Google, Inc.
- © 2015 Google Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimised for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.