This is the essential iPhone app for travelling the battlefields of the Western Front of the Great War, covering 170 locations with 700 photographs. From Diksmuide in Flanders to Cantigny in the Somme, it will help guide you to some of the amazing sites of interest - from bunkers and trenches to more major sites like the Menin Gate in Ypres or Thiepval on the Somme. It also contains a wealth of practical and useful information for any traveller including cafés, museums, opening hours, etc
*170 locations from Flanders in Belgium to the Somme in France
*17 countries represented over 170 locations
*Offering an historical guide to the Great War from the outbreak to armistice
*Every location has been visited, extensively researched and photographed by Spot On Locations
*Content written by professional journalists with specialist background in battlefield tourism
* History page with fully researched, concise history on each major battle from 1914 to 1918
*All locations have also been categorised into 6 colour coded groups:
*Colour-coded pins (showing different location ‘types’ e.g. Cemeteries, Bunkers, Trenches etc)
* Locations can also be viewed by country of interest flag pins (toggle feature between colour codes and flag pins)
The Great War Battlefields of the Western Front is packed full of information, facts and stories of the ordinary soldier, from Victoria Cross recipients to the last fighting Tommy, Harry Patch. Stories that include the plight of the horses to the tragedy of three brothers all killed on the same day. It is a great way to learn about all aspects of the Great War, and can be used whether or not you are actually on the battlefield. If you’re using the app in the local region covered by the pins, it will help you navigate to your chosen locations. If not, the app is designed and produced to give an in-depth overview of the many varied, and interesting sites, giving the remote user the feeling of being there.
-Designed to be used offline so no expensive roaming charges
-Zoom to specific site locations
-Your current position highlighted on the in-built map (iPhone)
-Each location is colour coded and shown in List view as well as the Map view
- Colour-coded pins (showing different location ‘types’ e.g. Cemeteries, Bunkers, Trenches etc)
- Facility to toggle pin views between colour pins and flag pins
-Favourites list page to shortlist your locations, helping you to plan your battlefield tour
-Favourites map page to show your locations, helping you to plan your battlefield tour
-Incredibly easy to navigate around the map
-GPS positions included for individual sites
-Photos can also be viewed in landscape and are zoomable (Roaming charges may apply for this feature)
-Additional navigation facility available using online maps (Roaming charges may apply for this feature)
Updated for iOS 11 and iPhone X
Ratings and Reviews
Great app with plenty of base level information and more. If you are a student of the Great War and want infinite detail about a location or battle then by a number of books with 1000+ pages dedicated to each battle; if you want to improve your general knowledge and understanding about WW1 locations then buy this app. I have been visiting WW1 locations & battlefields for a number of years & yet I still learnt a number of things from this app. Anyone planning a visit to the battlefields NEEDS to get this app before they go; it's worth its weight in gold for the planning stage! Just remember to download the extra pictures via your wifi at home before you leave & whatever you do don't forget to take this app with you
Purchased this app as I was going to France and Belgium, found it to be invaluable. Yes you can find more info online, this wee app gives you a basic starting knowledge, that’s what is designed for then once you open the app whatever location you are at, if it takes your interest there is enough info to keep you informed then you can add to your favourites, so that at a later date you can do a more detailed study, enough information to keep an enthusiast interested, the app will hopefully be updated soon. The app is now updated to ios11 fantastic. You won’t be disappointed with this.
Spot - on
Purchased this app as we were having a few days away in France. Loved reading the information regarding each location and with the bonus of directions via google maps took us straight to the venue. A very good app and if your interested in the battlefield sites then money well spent. Went to
moving places that should never be forgotten !
- Spot On Locations Limited
- 63.1 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Wi-Fi (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation) and iPod touch (6th generation).
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Spot On Locations Ltd 2013
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.