If you have a paper Ordnance Survey (OS) map, GridPoint GB makes it easy to locate yourself — even when you've got no mobile reception.
GridPoint GB uses your iPhone's GPS and compass to provide your current grid reference and heading, and illustrates how to use this to locate yourself on the map. Coordinate conversions are implemented via OS's OSTN02, and are thus accurate to within 1m.
New in version 2, the app also:
* Reports full numerical easting and northing, tetrad, and raw latitude/longitude, and various heading parameters
* Has a sharing facility so you can share, copy or store your location
* Calculates next sunset and sunrise times
* Can emit a distress signal, just in case
All features are completely free to use (the in-app purchase is simply a tip you can give the developer if you want to show appreciation).
For details and instructions, please see http://mackerron.com/gridpointgb/
Please note: this app works ONLY in Britain (i.e. England, Scotland or Wales). It does not operate in other parts of the UK or British Isles and cannot provide coordinates in Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland, since a different coordinate system is used.
New in 2.1
* You can now support GridPoint GB development by leaving a tip in the tip jar — please see the Info tab
* Various small tweaks
New in 2.0
Works on iOS 9, plus lots of new features:
* Gives and illustrates grid heading as well as grid location
* Provides additional location formats, including full numerical easting and northing, tetrad, and raw latitude/longitude
* Makes it easy to share, copy or store your location, via a new sharing button
* Displays next sunset and sunrise times
* Can emit a distress signal (six torch flashes and six tones, repeated every minute), just in case
Ratings and Reviews
An absolute lifesaver!
I really enjoy the whole map reading navigation thing, I’m quite an obsessive map reader, but there can be occasions when even with the best will in the world, the situation can become confusing. I live on the edge of Dartmoor and there’s been times when the thick mist has come down in areas that I’m really very familiar with but even still, and thanks to my GridPoint, I realise that I’ve drifted hopelessly off course, but thanks to GridPoint I can now reset my compass bearing. Also the really good thing to be aware of is that GridPoint doesn’t need a phone signal to operate as it only relies on the GPS signals which always seem to be available. For me it’s always been 100% reliable, it’s never ever yet failed and I get out into the wilds quite a lot and in some pretty remote parts of the UK, Scotland too. IT’S JUST BRILLIANT! Whenever I bump into other walkers I’m very often extolling the virtues of GridPoint, I think it’s a real must have item for walkers and ramblers, and it’s so clear and straightforward to use.
Many thanks George MacKerron!
Best regards Martin
A Lean but Mean App!
I've used this app since it's very early release and still find it an invaluable addition to my navigation kit for hill walking. It works faultlessly and is very light on the phone battery, unlike digital mapping and GPS.
I use GridPoint to verify my position only when I've determined my location by means of visual terrain recognition and taking bearings if needed. This helps me improve my location finding.
Great work! Thank you.
The best coordination app
The updates to this app are excellent, particularly the sharing info page which is v well thought through. It is the best mapping and coordinate aid I've used, and I'm amazed that it's still free. I'm pleased that it is possible to support this app by making a tip. For anyone that uses grid refs and maps this app is well worth supporting!
Well done guys!!
- George MacKerron
- 11.8 MB
- Requires iOS 8.4 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2009 - 2016 George MacKerron
- In-App Purchases
- Magnificent tip £0.99
- Majestic tip £2.99
- Monumental tip £4.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.