The Guardian and Observer Daily Edition app beautifully re-imagines the newspaper for the iPad. Each issue showcases our comprehensive international reporting, thoughtful commentary, award-winning sports journalism and unique approach to culture, science, the environment, media and technology coverage.
- New editions every day of the week including all content from the main sections of the Guardian and Observer newspapers
- On Saturday, Weekend magazine, the Guide and the Sport, Cultural Review, Travel, Family, Money and Work sections are all included along with the main section of the paper
- On Sunday, the Observer's news sections, Sport, New Review and Magazine all appear weekly, with Observer Food and Tech Monthly magazines included once each month
- Crosswords: Quick and Cryptic puzzles every day, including the Prize cryptic on Saturday and the Speedy and Everyman puzzles with the Observer on Sunday
- Full compatibility with Apple’s Newsstand service - background downloading of every issue so it's ready for you when you want it
- Copy and select text or look up words using Apple’s inbuilt dictionary
- Editions from the last month available in the archive
- All article and picture content downloaded for reading offline
- Stunning photojournalism and full screen cartoons
- In-article image galleries and interactive graphics
- Video embedded in articles viewable when online
- Share stories via Facebook, Twitter, Instapaper, Google+ and email
- Swipe to navigate between sections or stories
- Related articles within the edition highlighted
- Related online articles open in an in-app browser
The Guardian and Observer Daily Edition is free for a limited period then available via one of our monthly auto-renewable subscriptions:
- £11.99 for full seven-day access, saving over 25% compared with separate Guardian and Observer digital subscriptions
- £9.99 for Monday to Saturday (Guardian) issues only
- £6.99 for Sunday (Observer) issues only
- Payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
- Your subscription will automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period
- Your account will be charged for renewal within the 24 hours prior to the end of the current period, at the same cost as your chosen subscription
- You can manage your subscription via your iTunes account and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to Account Settings after purchase
- No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during the active subscription period
- Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to the Guardian and Observer iPad edition
- The Guardian reserves the right to alter the pricing at any point
Please note - while Apple's Family Sharing feature can be used to share apps between up to six family members, it does not support the sharing of in-app purchases (as described in https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203046). This includes the auto-renewable subscriptions to the Guardian and Observer offered within this app, and you will therefore not be able to share any subscriptions purchased via iTunes Store with family members. If you have any questions please email email@example.com who will be able to advise you further.
- Terms and conditions: http://www.theguardian.com/help/terms-of-service
Bug fixes and performance improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
A better experience
I used to use the Guardian app. It's a fine thing but inevitably suffers from the social-media malaise which is eating everyone's minds: there are comments to which you can contribute so you spend half your life arguing with trolls, and you can select what you want to see, so you only see what you want to see.
The daily edition has none of this: it's just the paper, without the piles of old copies you need to recycle. That's a great advantage.
It would be nice if there was a single subscription/membership tier which got you both the interactive, commenty thing (which I still use via the web) and this, but that may be against Apple's rules.
Loving the iPad app
iPad app is so much better than the normal Guardian app - much more like reading a paper so I have been really happy to subscribe.
Unfortunately, I now use my iPhone X everywhere, but this app cannot be downloaded on it.....I have been told that the format would not work but surely, if the developers comment that the format is for iPad but allow it on an iPhone, it is up to the user to choose whether they are fine with it?
This means that I am going to stop using the app and stop subscribing which I am rather sad about.
I bought the Saturday Guardian in a newsagent yesterday - a retrograde step!
Great Newspaper - app falls well short
I’ve subscribed to this app for 12 months. ( I pad is 18 months old)There is invariably an issue , page turning sticking , unable to move from adverts , filling crossword in is repeatedly at times a joke at best clunky , the daily issue doesn’t load in background as advertised - you have to request it . Saturday issue appears to have more problems than rest of week.(presumably because of size of download). My impression is that resources allocated to this app are inadequate to maintain a non irritating app . ( I do have latest updates and this app is only one that causes problems)
- Guardian News & Media Ltd
- 39.6 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humour
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © 2017, Guardian News & Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Sixday £9.99
- Everyday £11.99
- Sunday (add on) £1.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.