The Guardian and Observer daily edition
By Guardian News and Media Limited
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Guardian and Observer daily edition beautifully re-imagines the newspaper for the iPad. Each issue showcases our comprehensive international reporting, thoughtful commentary, award-winning sports journalism and unique approach to culture, science, the environment, media and technology coverage.
Full feature list
- editions every day of the week including all content from the main sections of the Guardian and Observer newspapers
- on Saturday, Weekend magazine, the Guide and the Sport, Cultural Review, Travel, Family, Money and Work sections are all included along with the main section of the paper
- on Sunday, the Observer's news sections, Sport, New Review and Magazine all appear weekly, with Observer Food and Tech Monthly magazines included once each month
- crosswords: Quick and Cryptic puzzles every day, including the Prize cryptic on Saturday and the Speedy and Everyman puzzles with the Observer on Sunday
- full compatibility with Apple’s Newsstand service - background downloading of every issue so it's ready for you when you want it
- copy and select text or look up words using Apple’s inbuilt dictionary
- editions from the last month available in the archive
- all article and picture content downloaded for reading offline
- stunning photojournalism and full screen cartoons
- in-article image galleries and interactive graphics
- video embedded in articles viewable when online
- share stories via Facebook, Twitter, Instapaper, Google+ and email
- swipe to navigate between sections or stories
- related articles within the edition highlighted
- related online articles open in an in-app browser
The Guardian and Observer daily edition is free for a limited period then available via one of our monthly auto-renewable subscriptions:
- £11.99 for full seven-day access, saving over 25% compared with separate Guardian and Observer digital subscriptions
- £9.99 for Monday to Saturday (Guardian) issues only
- £6.99 for Sunday (Observer) issues only
- payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
- your subscription will automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period
- your account will be charged for renewal within the 24 hours prior to the end of the current period, at the same cost as your chosen subscription
- you can manage your subscription via your iTunes account and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to Account Settings after purchase
- no cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during the active subscription period
- any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to the Guardian and Observer iPad edition
- The Guardian reserves the right to alter the pricing at any point
- all content in the Guardian and Observer daily edition is copyright Guardian News and Media Ltd 2015. All rights reserved
- terms and conditions: http://www.theguardian.com/help/terms-of-service
What's New in Version 3.0
Don’t lose your download progress if your iPad switches off or you lose your connection.
Bugs fixed including empty article content, blank navigation, and updated fonts.
Clean, effective delivery on iPad of newspaper format news
This app is well suited to task of letting you browse, choose and read newspaper articles without some of the distractions typical of website news feeds. The overview pages effectively let you scan the page in a way you might scan the newspaper version to choose what you will read. The navigation is simple and effective although I wish it was easier to swipe left to the next article without needing to go up first. Type face works well and wonderful photos are included in a natural way.
It definitely beats looking for an english newspaper at a news agents when travelling outside UK and the content is far better than most competitors.
A really useful app
When I was widowed recently and with a much reduced income, the reasonable price of using this app allowed me to keep reading a paper I have read since 1959. If, as has happened several times recently, a link is missing I find it almost impossible to discover where an article can be found. It might be helpful if there was a short instruction section informing us how to use this app. Not all of us are very computer literate. As a keen crossword doer I think that the designer of the app crossword has done a superb job and find it very easy to complete although I wouldn't mind a cheater's link as the online version has . With thanks.
Guardian useful for ageing reader
I started talking the iPad version when my local village shop closed and I could no longer have hard copies delivered. Loading is a little slow (c.f. The Times) but the resulting copy is good, easy to read, and fairly easy to navigate, musts for everyone but essential for this increasingly aged reader (who still thinks of the Manchester Guardian being the paper's real name!). For me the only 'problem' is that I never quite feel I'm reading a newspaper for which I do turn to the digital edition. The Times layout of its iPad app still makes me more aware this is a newspaper. The Guardian iPad photographs are wonderful - National Geographic standard.
- Category: News
- Updated: 19 August 2015
- Version: 3.0
- Size: 10.9 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Guardian News & Media Ltd
- © 2015, Guardian News & Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
Top In-App Purchases
- Guardian iPad edition£9.99
- Guardian & Observer iPad edition£11.99
- Observer iPad edition£1.99
- Observer iPad edition£6.99