The Guardian and Observer iPad edition
By Guardian News and Media Limited
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Guardian and Observer tablet edition beautifully re-imagines the newspaper for the iPad. Each issue showcases our comprehensive international reporting, thoughtful commentary, award-winning sports journalism and unique approach to culture, science, the environment, media and technology coverage.
Full feature list
- editions every day of the week including all content from the main sections of the Guardian and Observer newspapers
- on Saturday, Weekend magazine, the Guide and the Sport, Cultural Review, Travel, Family, Money and Work sections are all included along with the main section of the paper
- on Sunday, the Observer's news sections, Sport, New Review and Magazine all appear weekly, with Observer Food and Tech Monthly magazines included once each month
- crosswords: Quick and Cryptic puzzles every day, including the Prize cryptic on Saturday and the Speedy and Everyman puzzles with the Observer on Sunday
- full compatibility with Apple’s Newsstand service - background downloading of every issue so it's ready for you when you want it
- copy and select text or look up words using Apple’s inbuilt dictionary
- editions from the last month available in the archive
- all article and picture content downloaded for reading offline
- stunning photojournalism and full screen cartoons
- in-article image galleries and interactive graphics
- video embedded in articles viewable when online
- share stories via Facebook, Twitter, Instapaper, Google+ and email
- swipe to navigate between sections or stories
- related articles within the edition highlighted
- related online articles open in an in-app browser
The Guardian and Observer iPad edition is free for a limited period then available via one of our monthly auto-renewable subscriptions:
- £11.99 for full seven-day access, saving over 25% compared with separate Guardian and Observer digital subscriptions
- £9.99 for Monday to Saturday (Guardian) issues only
- £6.99 for Sunday (Observer) issues only
- payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
- your subscription will automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period
- your account will be charged for renewal within the 24 hours prior to the end of the current period, at the same cost as your chosen subscription
- you can manage your subscription via your iTunes account and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to Account Settings after purchase
- no cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during the active subscription period
- any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to the Guardian and Observer iPad edition
- The Guardian reserves the right to alter the pricing at any point
- all content in the Guardian and Observer iPad edition is copyright Guardian News and Media Ltd 2013. All rights reserved
- terms and conditions: http://www.theguardian.com/help/terms-of-service
What's New in Version 2.6
- Crosswords available for issues from Friday 13th December
Best of all the newspaper apps
I've tried all the daily newspaper apps, and as far as reliability, ease of use and value for money I can happily report this I a by far the best of the bunch. I like that I can easily scan the sections and stories in browse mode and then dip into the stories that interest me. Even better is the ability to share the articles with friends and family using either social networks or email. You still can't do this with The Times.
A few thoughts that could improve it:
I'd really appreciate the option to increase the font size on the app - the iPad mini's smaller screen forces me to squint just that bit too much - it's far from unusable, but my eyesight is still very good so I think elder readers may struggle with such small text.
I'd also love to see the option to save my favourite articles in some form of scrapbook that can be kept on the device - especially as the app only stores 1 or 2 week's worth of backdated papers.
Small issues though when compared to the mess that most other digital dailies are forcing on readers.
Thank you for the crosswords!
That's so much easier than fighting the crosswords on the website on an ipad. I'd done today's quick already, so I was able to compare the two. The only thing lacking is the user comments. I prefer the wrong answers not to remove the wrong letters as the ipad version now does, as clearing wrong letters gives a bit too much away. I think you could make the grid just a little bit smaller so you can see it all with the keyboard in place. But I was hoping you'd add this, and now you have.
Excellent digital newspaper. I have had no troubles with the app or the issues. Compared to other newspaper "apps" this is actually designed with ipad in mind and is far better than the other glorified pdf's out there.
I prefer this to a physical paper as it's significantly cheaper, no paper waste, easier to handle, read and even has video/photos integrated! (Plus you don't get newsprint all over your fingers, which is a huge bonus in my mind)
The Guardian as an app and news establishment is top drawer, get it now!
- Category: News
- Updated: 12 December 2013
- Version: 2.6
- Size: 8.1 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Guardian News & Media Ltd
- © 2013, Guardian News & Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
Top In-App Purchases
- Guardian iPad edition£9.99
- Guardian & Observer iPad edition£11.99
- Observer iPad edition£1.99
- Observer iPad edition£6.99