The Guardian and Observer daily edition
By Guardian News and Media Limited
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Guardian and Observer daily edition beautifully re-imagines the newspaper for the iPad. Each issue showcases our comprehensive international reporting, thoughtful commentary, award-winning sports journalism and unique approach to culture, science, the environment, media and technology coverage.
Full feature list
- editions every day of the week including all content from the main sections of the Guardian and Observer newspapers
- on Saturday, Weekend magazine, the Guide and the Sport, Cultural Review, Travel, Family, Money and Work sections are all included along with the main section of the paper
- on Sunday, the Observer's news sections, Sport, New Review and Magazine all appear weekly, with Observer Food and Tech Monthly magazines included once each month
- crosswords: Quick and Cryptic puzzles every day, including the Prize cryptic on Saturday and the Speedy and Everyman puzzles with the Observer on Sunday
- full compatibility with Apple’s Newsstand service - background downloading of every issue so it's ready for you when you want it
- copy and select text or look up words using Apple’s inbuilt dictionary
- editions from the last month available in the archive
- all article and picture content downloaded for reading offline
- stunning photojournalism and full screen cartoons
- in-article image galleries and interactive graphics
- video embedded in articles viewable when online
- share stories via Facebook, Twitter, Instapaper, Google+ and email
- swipe to navigate between sections or stories
- related articles within the edition highlighted
- related online articles open in an in-app browser
The Guardian and Observer daily edition is free for a limited period then available via one of our monthly auto-renewable subscriptions:
- £11.99 for full seven-day access, saving over 25% compared with separate Guardian and Observer digital subscriptions
- £9.99 for Monday to Saturday (Guardian) issues only
- £6.99 for Sunday (Observer) issues only
- payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
- your subscription will automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period
- your account will be charged for renewal within the 24 hours prior to the end of the current period, at the same cost as your chosen subscription
- you can manage your subscription via your iTunes account and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to Account Settings after purchase
- no cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during the active subscription period
- any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to the Guardian and Observer iPad edition
- The Guardian reserves the right to alter the pricing at any point
- all content in the Guardian and Observer daily edition is copyright Guardian News and Media Ltd 2015. All rights reserved
- terms and conditions: http://www.theguardian.com/help/terms-of-service
What's New in Version 3.4.1
-- Bye bye bugs --
In this release, we've fixed an issue related to the way some fonts were rendering in the application, specifically on the crossword pages.
-- We’d love to hear from you --
We value your feedback, so if you have something to share then email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you’re enjoying the app, please leave us a rating and a review.
Downloads not working properly since iOS 10
This app remains my most used on my iPad. It is a real boon to be able to take it to places where there is no internet connection and still read my favourite newspaper. I'd give it 5 stars but since I have upgraded to iOS 10, the background downloads are not as clean as they used to be. The file gets downloaded but it does not get unpacked or processed until I open the app. Therefore the badge number doesn't update on the icon and I can't be sure that a new issue has been downloaded.
Clean and beautiful
The layout of the articles is beautiful, very clean and much more like the paper than the website. The app showcases some very good photography too. The Guardian website is already very good, so you need to decide if paying for a separate app is worth it. I've used it very happily when I haven't had an internet connection, such an on the train, with the daily edition downloaded overnight.
How hard can this be?
The app had been working fine but blew up when I was in Spain with less that perfect network coverage. Why should that cause a problem other than to increase download times (which is how all my other cloud app behaved)? The app then refused to download issues regardless if network. A reset failed to make a difference whereas a delete/reinstall did. Why is this so hard. The Telegraph app is just as bad. How hard is it to download a few files once a day?
- Category: News
- Updated: 29 July 2016
- Version: 3.4.1
- Size: 18.7 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: Guardian News & Media Ltd
- © 2015, Guardian News & Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
Top In-App Purchases
- Guardian iPad edition£9.99
- Guardian & Observer iPad edition£11.99
- Observer iPad edition£1.99
- Observer iPad edition£6.99