Heart Valve Master© was developed in collaboration with medical and cardiology experts Dr. R. van den Brink (Amsterdam UMC) and Dr. J. Wittekoek (Heartlife Clinics) with input from Dr Yassir Javaid, General Practitioner and Primary Care Cardiovascular lead at East Midlands Strategic Clinical Network in the UK. The game is powered by Edwards Lifesciences.
A player steps into a virtual GP practice to improve the quality of life of patients with heart valve disease symptoms by increasing the patients ‘happiness score’. By playing the game, GPs are training in a systematic way to:
1. Assess patient medical history and ask appropriate questions about his/her symptoms
2. Perform a physical examination and auscultation: performing all tests necessary to detect the cause of the symptoms, including cardiac auscultation with the recognition of heart sounds typically found in patients with heart valve disease.
3. Make a diagnosis based on clinical history and results from physical examination
4. Make a provisional diagnosis and determine the appropriate referral pathway
To support learning, the cardiologist ‘avatar’ provides feedback on the players diagnosis and explains symptoms and signs of heart valve disease in more detail. The additional learning parts are theoretical pieces of information based on the current guidelines for GPs and cardiologists in the UK.
Education through gamification, enables aspiring GPs and GPs to use this as an effective learning tool.
- English translation.
- This update contains a usability questionnaire for players.
Ratings and Reviews
- Add-app BV
- 247.2 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Dutch, German
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this application.
- Frequent/Intense Medical/Treatment Information
- © Add-app BV 2019
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.