FREE Download. Explore the Hidden Heritage of the Forest of Dean's rich industrial past.
The Forest of Dean, a green island nestled between two rivers; the mighty Severn and the gentle Wye. This ancient forest has had a rather traumatic past. In medieval times it was a royal hunting forest, then a source of timber for the navy's Tudor warships. By Victorian times it was a major site of industry; it's noisy landscape greatly scarred by coal and iron mining, quarrying and associated industries.
Use this App to explore the Forest of Dean's "Family cycle trail" which follows the route taken by the Severn and Wye steam Railway, including the Mineral Loop and crossing the Central Railway.
- 30 Points of interest to explore as you travel this exiting trail.
- Offline mapping based on the 1920, highly detailed, 6 inch to the mile OS map.
- GPS located position shows your exact location on the map.
- Stunning, GPS triggered, "Fade images" show a transition from historic photo to modern landscape.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
- Optimised for iOS11
- Minor bug fixed on map that disabled 'locator' and 'change map' functions
- Minor bug fixed that displayed blue rectangle behind map pins
Use the app's feedback feature or tweet us at @audiotrails if you find any issues, or want to provide other feedback.
Ratings and Reviews
Easy eye opener
Having lived in the dean many years I still haven't had the time to really understand the history until now. Sure I know it had a ride coal based industrious past but I could never put in in context. Really love the imagery and keen to get out and visualise this other world. I am no geologist or historian so thanks for letting in on this complex subject whilst I eat my breakfast! :)
Brilliant tool to explore with
This app is brilliant!!! Great for using the cycle trail but it has so many uses. The amazing picture fades with the text really let you see how the area looked in years gone by. It is definitely the easiest way to navigate around this beautiful woodland area!
A really interesting interactive App for those living in or visiting the Forest. A big "well done" to Sue and all of the people who are working on the Foresters' Forest project.
- AT Creative Limited
- 265.8 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2017 Foresters' Forest
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.