By British Gas
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Hive Active Heating™ revolutionises the way we control heating and hot water. No more fiddling around with tricky boiler controls in dusty cupboards – now just use your mobile, tablet or laptop to do it all remotely. So wherever you are - at work, the pub or even sitting on the sofa, Hive makes heating control easy.
• Save up to £150 a year on your energy bills
• View and change the schedule of your heating and hot water to fit with your plans
• Set frost protection and temperature alerts for peace of mind
Here’s what others think:
Rather than twiddling the thermostat like someone’s dad in the 1980s, you twiddle with the thermostat via a smart-looking app, like someone’s dad in 2013 - stuff.tv
This is designed to put heating and hot water controls in the palm of your hand rather than you having to clamber in a dark cupboard to change them - tech.uk
“Finally! The end of impossible to use heating controls:-) "@engadget: British Gas introduces Hive Active Heating™” carmel @mcquaic 26 Sep
Download the free app to demo Hive and if you like it why not buy Hive Active Heating™ from hivehome.com/buynow.
What's New in Version 1.20
• Improved error messages in the app
• Updated Text Control number so it works even when you're abroad
A dependable system, with excellent flexibility, that saves you money
Well worth the money, as this system will reduce your gas bill. This app is the front end of a service provided by British Gas. It controls your gas fired central heating from anywhere. Not only when it comes on or off but also the target temperature. It controls when your boiler provides heat to your hot water tank as well. It includes a frost guard feature, whereby, if it is cold, the boiler will come on so that your pipes don't freeze. You can have this system installed, even if you don't buy your energy from British Gas. After some teething problems, the system is now extremely stable.
I never touch my clock now I do it all from my phone
I do love my gadgets but they have to practical and worthwhile. I use this all the time. If the boiler wakes me up in a morning I can turn it off and go back to sleep. If I'm away I can make sure the heating isn't running. I also use the email alerts to let me know if the kids have tuned the heating onto tropical while I'm out. I go away quite a bit in the winter so love that I would get an email alert telling me the house was cold (no more frozen pipes)
Nice in principle
It's great to be able to control the hearing and hot water from your phone. However, the functionality is a little too basic. You could improve this so easily:
1. There is no boost for heating. My old Honeywell control had 1,2,3 hour boost for heating and hot water separately. Hive only has 1 hour boost. When I want to manually turn on the hearing, I sometimes forget to switch it back to Schedule mode and leave it on for a long time.
2. Geolocation is nice in principle but it should be more automatic like Tado. It prompts me to turn off hearing but then you have to go into the app to change things. Again, you have to switch to manual and turn off the heating and you have to remember at some point to switch it back to Schedule mode.
3. The time bands are so limited and it's hard to set it to keep heating on past midnight each day. Some of us aren't in bed by 10!
- Category: Lifestyle
- Updated: 19 March 2015
- Version: 1.20
- Size: 13.3 MB
- Language: English
- Developer: British Gas Trading
- © British Gas plc
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimised for iPhone 5.