You can use the HMRC app to estimate your tax, manage your tax credits, access your Help to Save account, or work out your take-home pay.
Used by more than 550,000 people per month, the app puts you at the heart of your tax matters and financial life.
The secure fingerprint sign in means you can quickly:
- find your tax code
- work out your take home pay, income tax and National Insurance information with our tax calculator
- get your tax estimate, income and state benefits information
- read messages from HMRC
- track the forms and letters you’ve sent to HMRC
Keep track of your tax credits
- check your tax credits payments schedule
- find out how much you've earned for the year
- renew your tax credits
Manage your Help to Save account
- sign in to your Help to Save account
- check your account balance and bonus
- keep track of how much you’ve paid in
- see how much you can still save before the end of the month
- set regular reminders to save - or cancel them
- get easy access to your full web account to do things like pay in money or find out how to set up a regular payment
Signing up is easy
- will need to provide your name, National Insurance number and date of birth
- may also need to provide details like your passport number and salary details
HMRC app is safe and secure
- use the app to get access codes to add security to personal, business and agent accounts
- only sign in to your personal tax account as an individual - you can't sign in as a business or an agent
What people are saying about the HMRC app
- “Loving the fingerprint scanner integration.”
- “Does the job and has stopped half my phone calls. Not that I made that many. Great app.”
- “Easy to log in easy to track tax credits and keep track of how much you've earned for the year.”
- “Great! So simple and easy to use.”
Help to Save account holders can now see a visual representation of their monthly payments. We've also made some changes to make it easier for users who use a screen reader to use the app.
Ratings and Reviews
Almost useless and constantly logs you out
This promised so much, and delivered so little. You have to login with your government gateway number and password, but every time you look sideways it tells you that it has been logged out. So you have to look everything up again. And my address is incorrect (not just a typo, positively wrong) and there is no functionality to correct it.
But there’s not much point anyway, because the app can’t tell you anything useful. It assumes that every taxpayer is an employee operating under PAYE. It has no functionality for trading profits, for capital allowances, savings income, or for anything else other than tax credits.
Pretty much a waste of space for anyone who wants to know anything more than they could find on their P60 anyway.
Having written the above, I received a “developer response”. It started “Hi” – how unprofessional! And says the app is designed for “personal rather than business tax users“. Self-employed traders have personal tax affairs too. It is both inaccurate and patronising to pretend that they are all dealt with under PAYE. And anyway, there are other aspects to the taxation of personal income than PAYE.
And the “developer response” ignored the fact that the app constantly logs you out.
If I could reduce my rating below one star I would. What a waste of space.
The app is currently designed for personal rather than business tax users, particularly those who receive Child or Working Tax Credits as many only have access to a mobile device.
We may add features relating to business taxes in the future.
HMRC app admin team
Some good points and bad points
Overall the app is good a lot easier than having to go on the internet and having to look for what I need when all I need to do is open the app. The only downside is when checking how much I pay tax and NI when I get paid I am unable to do this on the app unlike when going on the internet where I can see how much my work are paying me and how much tax and NI is being taken off before actually being paid as this helps me with working out bill money, hopefully soon I will be able to do that on the app as well, I had high hopes for this app but disappointed
Hi Megz, you should be able to see your income and tax estimate in the app (though not NI contributions). If this is different from what you see on the internet, please could you email us at email@example.com and we'll try to find out what the problem is?
I like that you can update your tax credits, however apart from letting you know what your payments are going to be, it would be good when you are no longer entitled and have an over payment to let you know what that is.
I would like to know what tax I have paid for the previous year, what I’ve paid so far for the current tax year and the ability to request a refund if I’ve over paid.
At the moment there is not very much you are able to do with the app and need to log in on line to get those information, this is why I have only put 3 stars.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.