"Blanket recommendation for this one." - Pocket Tactics (5/5 stars)
"It's very simple to learn, but there's a huge amount of depth to the game" - Touch Arcade (5/5 stars)
Hoplite is a turn-based strategy game focusing on tactical movement around small maps.
This game is designed to be hard, yet fair. You'll need to think before you act if you hope to win. Every move counts!
• Make strategical choices to upgrade your abilities as you dive deeper into the underworld.
• Earn achievements and unlock access to new upgrades.
• Procedurally generated levels give a new experience every play.
• Challenge your friends and see how you rank on the leaderboard.
• Jump straight into the action with a randomized set of upgrades.
• Try to beat the daily challenge or play predetermined challenges at two difficulty levels.
Fixed music from other apps being muted while game is running.
Several minor bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Mobile gaming perfection
Beautiful. Minimalist, pure, predictable. Like an army-of-one game of chess, simple and explicit rules add up to increasingly sophisticated action. In this game, there is little left to chance - you get hit, you have no-one to blame but yourself. A perfect synthesis of game, platform, and an understanding of how we play on mobile devices. Also a great ear worm soundtrack. Use retro graphics mode for a multi sensory overload. Best game on the App Store, by far - outshines hyped and big-budget games by a significant distance.
Would I buy this on a console or PC? Probably not, I'd expect more of the game and for it to be a media tour-de-force. But here, the simple graphics fit the phone - and your battery life. The simple controls are fluid and intuitive on a mobile screen. There's no map panning or scrolling. This game was developed to be a superb mobile experience, and it shows.
Can't recommend this enough if you like your games on the more cerebral side.
Good but could be longer
(That's what she said)
Great game but could really do with being a little bit longer. Looking forward to an update!
One of the few games I keep coming back to day after day. Very simple to learn, all sorts of tricks to learn. Thanks.
- Douglas Cowley
- 174.4 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Frequent/Intense Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- © 2013, Doug Cowley
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.