*** FREE 30 DAY SUBSCRIPTION TRIAL – READ OUR LATEST ISSUE FREE TODAY ***
Welcome to How It Works, the magazine that explains everything you never knew you wanted to know about the world we live in. Covering science, technology, history, space, transport and the environment, no subject is too big or small for How It Works to explain.
What you’ll find in every issue:
• Global Eye – the latest news, developments and events from the world of science, technology and space
• Amazing images – each issue is loaded with fantastic cutaways, illustrations and photography
• Features – How It Works’ articles explain the most fascinating subjects and topics in an exciting way that everyone can understand
• Brain Dump – get the answers to all your burning 'how and why' questions answered in our reader Q&A section
• How To – your guide to fun experiments and projects to try out at home
Join thousands of others and download our free app now!
Once you’ve downloaded our app, you will need to take a free trial or purchase a single issue or subscription to access our in-depth content. We also publish specials and guides - browse our publications, read what interests you most, and get inspired.
Back issues, specials, and future issues are available for purchase within the app. Subscriptions are available on 1 month, 6 months and 1 year terms, and auto-renew until you decide to cancel it. You can cancel your subscription at any point.
Individual issues are priced at:
Single issue £3.99 / $3.99 / €4.49
With subscription prices at:
1 month £2.29 / $2.99 / €2.99
6 months £14.99 / $19.99 / €19.99
1 year £24.99 / $32.99 / €32.99
Prices subject to change - please check inside the app for current pricing.
*** Please Note: Our digital edition is not printable and does not include the covermount items or supplements you would find with the print edition ***
• The free trial offer is only available to new subscribers. If you have previously subscribed then payment will be taken immediately.
• You can cancel at any time during the free trial period and you will not be charged. Simply turn off auto-renew in your Apple account subscriptions page at least 24 hours before the auto-renew is due.
• Payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase.
• Your subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current subscription period.
• You will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period, for the same duration and at the current subscription rate for that product.
• You can manage your subscriptions and turn off auto-renewal by going to your Account Settings after purchase .
• No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period. This does not affect your statutory rights.
• Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when you purchase a subscription.
The subscription will include the current issue if you don't already own it and subsequently published future issues for the duration of your subscription period.
• We've rebranded the app with our new logo and updated the messaging system.
• Bookmarking bug fix. Some users reported that bookmarks were flickering which has now been fixed.
Ratings and Reviews
Be aware, my wife bought a subscription to this mag, but despite having family sharing turned on, and it previously being accessible, the app no longer seems to support family sharing.
Very disappointing, I was enjoying the content.
We need to try it out
The problem with many magazine offerings on iOS (and all the other platforms), is that the interface can be tediously slow and the layout, dull and unimaginative. We really require these days to have a sample version to move through and test.
I think I would enjoy a good number of these issues but…
a. I have no idea what is included in each magazine
b. I feel reluctant to pay for a random issue, only to be disappointed by the same old scanned PDF offering all over again (it may be brilliant, but how do I know?).
So, please provide a sample few pages to view and include an index to the subjects covered in the various issues. Thanks.
Oh… and by the way, sure you can orient to landscape mode for a static preview (although it wasn't clearly mentioned), but that is no indication of the interactivity within the magazine itself. Also, the contents page is far too tiny to be legible.
I think this typifies the problem with the thinking surrounding mobile development. These are not magazines, they are something different. Delivering the same content, albeit digital, in the same format is not the answer. Magazines are tactile. It's about the glossy pages and scanning from one page to the next. It's not possible to do that on a tablet without panning, swiping and zooming. It's a lot of work for not much reward. You have all this extra power at your disposal, so use it. Make the page dance.
Update: There have been no noticeable improvements with the latest app. Navigation, zooming in, and reading are all still a rotten experience on the iPhone.
I bought this via the new Newsstand app on the iPhone. I knew the actual magazine was an in-app purchase - that was obvious and I can't believe people thought they would get a regular magazine for free.
With regards to the way the magazine is presented, I am quite disappointed. It's just a series of images of the individual pages. Therefore zooming in on an article doesn't focus in on the text like zooming does in Safari. You have to pinch and move the article to get it into place. General navigation throughout the magazine is also rather poor because of this. I probably won't buy any other magazines from Newsstand if they all work this way. I guess it may look better on the iPad.
With regards to the actual content of the magazine, it appears the target market is A-level science students: good introductory explanations that could entice you to explore further. I'm hoping to see New Scientist in the store soon - but I'll only buy if the articles are presented in a way that's suitable for viewing on an iPhone.
- Imagine Publishing
- 66.3 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Future Publishing Limited
- In-App Purchases
- 1 Month Subscription £2.29
- 6 Month Subscription £14.99
- 1 Year Subscription £24.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.