By Information Architects Inc.
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
50% OFF UNTIL NEXT UPDATE
“A practically ideal writing environment” ***** NZZ
“I thought TextEdit was simple until I tried Writer” ***** Erik Spiekermann
INNOVATIVE WRITING TECHNOLOGY
- Convert Markdown to Microsoft® Word 2007 .docx, and back again
- Auto Markdown subtly formats your text on-screen without taking your hands off the keyboard
- Focus Mode helps you write one sentence at a time, one thought at a time
- Reading Time tells you how long it takes to read your text
A better tool doesn’t make a better craftsman, but a good tool makes working a pleasure.
- Focus Mode
- Full Screen
- Auto Markdown
- Reading Time, plus word and character count
- Custom typeface, carefully set for optimal readability
- Easy-to-find strong blue cursor
- Real-time iCloud sync with folder support
- Ready for Retina displays
- Markdown ⇄ Microsoft® Word 2007 converter
1. Currently ONLY LATIN ALPHABET LANGUAGES, GREEK AND RUSSIAN are officially supported (NO Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Thai, Hebrew, Arabic etc support… yet).
2. Writer has no settings: with Writer you cannot fumble with fonts and colors. All you can do is write.
3. Writer uses plain text files, such as .txt and .md in “UTF-8” encoding.
TALK TO US
- Visit www.iawriter.com for information about Writer
- Visit support.iawriter.com for articles, support and discussion
- Let us know what you think on Twitter @iAWriter
We look forward to hearing from you!
— Information Architects Inc.
What's New in Version 1.5.1
- Microsoft® Word 2007 ⇄ Markdown converter:
-- Import .docx to Markdown (Drag’n’drop)
-- Export Markdown to .docx
- Extensive in-app help (Command-?)
- Fully HTML5 compliant export
- Reference link and image syntax support
- Format bar and shortcuts
- Print formatted option
- Print header and page numbers
- Asian input improvements
- Performance improvements
- Export fix (1.5.1)
Please let us know at support.iawriter.com or on Twitter @iawriter
Believe it or not, this app’s claims to make writing easier by getting out of your way are actually true. However, minimalism can be a fine line and occasionally iAWriter falls on the wrong side for some writing projects; for scientific writing, you may find that the typography is over-simplified, to the point that there is no native support for super- and subscript. Having to copy superscript characters in from the system character palette can seriously detract from your writing flow! Also, you should be aware that there is no option to change the default font at all.
Although there’s no demo, the screenshots are a good description of precisely what you get! However, it is excellent at what it aims to do, and easily justifies its cost as your third text editor (after Textedit and Textwrangler) and first writing tool. Much more inspiring than the clutter of toolbars and arbitrarily imposed styles of Word.
Word processing that purifies your brain as you write.
It's rarely I'm so moved to praise an application today, but this is the word processor that reminds you how satisfying software can be when it is written from a fresh and pure perspective. It does just the bare minimun you need to write and then just a little extra to give you compatibility when you need it. The keystroke-driven markup is a delight, the full screen mode and the focus mode are joy. No clutter, no useless features. I hope they keep it this way for ever.
It's like redisovering the beauty of simple and elegent applications when they were being written for Macintosh System 5.
Zen for the zenless. I wish all Apple s/w was like this.
Really useful app
I write in MultiMarkdown a lot so that I can convert the text into html for uploading to websites. I often receive copy in Word documents and being able to import it into this app and have it converted to Markdown is a great time saver. It makes a pretty good job of converting the text, and it’s the work of a few moments to correct any errors or add something that’s been missed - a lot easier than having to re-format all the text in a Word document. And it also converts to Word documents from Markdown which saves me a lot of work when I have to move my writing into a Word document.
A good app that’s worth buying.