By Information Architects Inc.
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
“Beautiful and Simple” – The Guardian
“Out-innovated Apple” — Fast Company
INNOVATIVE WRITING TECHNOLOGY
- Convert Markdown to Microsoft® Word .docx, and back again
- Auto Markdown subtly formats your text on-screen without taking your hands off the keyboard
- Focus Mode helps you write one sentence at a time, one thought at a time
- Reading Time tells you how long it takes to read your text
A better tool doesn’t make a better craftsman, but a good tool makes working a pleasure.
- Focus Mode
- Full Screen
- Auto Markdown
- Reading Time, plus word and character count
- Custom typeface, carefully set for optimal readability
- Easy-to-find strong blue cursor
- Real-time iCloud sync with folder support
- Ready for Retina displays
- Formatted HTML preview
- Markdown ⇄ Microsoft® Word .docx converter
1. Writer has no settings: with Writer you cannot fumble with fonts and colors. All you can do is write.
2. Currently only Latin alphabet languages plus Chinese, Japanese, Greek, and Russian are officially supported (no Vietnamese, Thai, Hebrew, Arabic etc. support… yet).
3. Writer uses plain text files, such as .txt and .md, in “UTF-8” encoding.
TALK TO US
- Visit https://ia.net/writer/mac for information about iA Writer for Mac
- Visit https://ia.net/writer/support/ for support and feedback
- Let us know what you think on Twitter @iAWriter
We look forward to hearing from you!
— Information Architects Inc.
What's New in Version 2.1.3
- Improved contextual menu for URLs
- Stability improvements
- Performance improvements
If you like iA Writer, please leave a review or a rating. It helps a lot.
Please let us know at ia.net/writer/support or on Twitter @iawriter
functional, performant, beautiful
iA Writer handles all my Markdown documents confidently - without glitches; without degraded performance for even very large documents that include many images; with beautiful and very functional typography.
If compared to all other Markdown editors i've tested it deserves 5 stars - so this is what i'm giving it. That doesn't mean i wouldn't like to see a few enhancements, though:
1. Layout in full-screen mode is a work of beauty - but it wastes line width, which makes me lose context and orientation in very large documents. It also means that Markdown tables are often broken across lines, which makes them even harder to comprehend than usual. Because there are no "Preferences" in iA Writer (normally a feature, not a bug) i can't customize (increase) line length or (reduce) margin width in full-screen mode. This is the one shortcoming that keeps motivating me to search for better alternatives (without success so far).
2. No support for other Markdown dialects than MultiMarkdown - whereas i'd often need an editor to write GitHub-flavoured Markdown, pandoc Markdown, etc.
3. Just one formatting style. Especially for large documents it would be very helpful to have the option to (auto-) number headings, or to change their colour, but iA Writer just has one (gorgeous and very refined) style that must fit all documents...
My Go-To App for all text composition
If I am draughting an email, or a blog, or a piece of written design work, it always begins in iA Writer. The interface is simple and uncluttered, and I find I can work much more quickly than I can in more complicated apps like MS Word, or Pages. It is a treat to use, and has replaced all of the other plain text apps I tried along the way. If you want a simple text app that won’t have you distracted and fiddling with formatting instead of getting on with the writing… Buy this one!
Does exactly what it says
A fast, reliable app, whoch does exactly what it says.
I use it most days, either for jotting down ideas or writing blog posts. In many ways, I can get a similar, uncluttered experience using the "distraction free” modes of other word processors, yet I keep returning to iA Writer. That says a lot.