“iA Writer creates a clean, simple and distraction-free writing environment for when you really need to focus on your words.” ***** The New York Times
“iA Writer is an example of how powerful simplicity and accessibility can be.” ***** The Guardian
“iA Writer is all about textual production—writing this phrase, this sentence, this word at this moment.” ***** WIRED
4 x Best of App Store Winner
# The Simple Writing App
iA Writer removes distractions. Giving you a calm, focused, writing space, so you can express yourself clearly.
Focus Mode dims everything but the current sentence or paragraph, helping you stay in the flow.
Don’t worry about the format. First, write in plain text. Then preview in HTML.
Search, sort, and quickly swap between documents from different clouds.
When you tap and hold a key in the command keyboard, you’re given the chance to choose your own layout. Rearrange your keys, or pick new ones from the extensive list.
You can open documents and launch frequent actions in no time with the new Quick Search. It lives in the keyboard so it’s always close at hand.
iA Writer includes an inverted light-on-dark-mode, perfect for working day and night.
Spot superfluous adjectives, weak verbs, repetitive nouns, false conjunctions and clean your text of the usual rumble.
Customize your templates and export to WordPress or Medium, HTML, Microsoft Word (.docx), or PDF.
# 100% Text
Embed links, pictures, tables and text files in plain text and see them in preview.
# Get in Touch
- Visit ia.net/writer for more information
- Visit ia.net/writer/support for support and feedback
- Let us know what you think on Twitter @iAWriter
This update fixes a few small bugs. It includes all the great features in iA Writer 5.1:
- Write #tags to group files
- Use in Quick Search and Smart Folders
- All hashtags are shown in Library view
- Hide hashtags from Preview and PDFs in Templates settings
- If you’re writing an article about a hashtag and want it to look like text, just put a backslash before the hash sign \#TalkLikeAPirateDay
# Improved Smart Folders
- Filter your files using a variety of rules including text searches, file extensions, hashtags, parent and ancestor paths, absolute and relative dates
- Automatically sync across your devices
# URL Commands
- x-callback-url support for commands to create and open documents
- Added authenticated x-callback-url commands to read and write files
- Added documentation (tap ? icon in URL Commands settings)
# Free Candy
- Duplicate items in Library
- Always use keyboard popover on iPads in Editor settings
- Hide keyboard bars when a hardware keyboard is connected in Editor settings
- STIX 2.0 fonts for math expressions in Preview
- HTML tags are dimmed in Editor
- Improved library performance
- Keyboard accessory with find bar shows expected buttons after switching to another document
- SVG images are always displayed as pictures when used as content blocks
- Favorite files on iOS respect the setting to show extension
- Code blocks are excluded from text stats
- Dictation alternatives are shown on tap in Editor
If you like the updates, please leave us a rating on the App Store. It helps a lot.
Ratings and Reviews
When we want to hunker down and type without distraction, one of our favourite resources is iA Writer. Substantially updated since its initial release, this writing app offers a customisable keyboard, selective text highlighting, iCloud sync and many other features we’ve come to depend on. Plus, a streamlined interface lets you simply swipe left to preview a document and swipe right to access your library. The entire experience is designed to be quick and easy so you can focus on your work.
I have to say this app is fantastic. There are so many features available and it really has helped me become more productive. If you’re on the edge about buying the app I fully recommend it. You won’t regret the purchase.
A message to the developers, thank you so much for not following them other apps with subscriptions. I know a few people that used them other services but were looking for alternatives when they started asking for recurring payments. I’ll surely be recommending this app. I think it’s great that you offer a one-time purchase for the app and all of its features. Thank you.
Great app this! I first used it seven years ago and I think the thing that put me off then was no intervention with iCloud (think it was Dropbox only in them days)
Now iCloud is here and it makes the whole thing more versatile.
I was looking for a great, no hassle, but brilliant way of writing with out all the bells and whistles that come with a lot of other writing apps. It’s just you and the page (just like writing on paper) which feels like you’re alone with it. Distraction free.
Has some great features like the Focus mode where you focus solely on the part you are working on and ‘Happy wife’ mode where you can turn the screen black, which I use in bed.
Yeah, great app this! 😊 You won’t be sorry for spending the money (I like the fact it’s a one off payment and you’re not tied to a subscription every month, which would make me keep buying products from the same company)
- Information Architects GmbH
- 31.5 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2010–2018 Information Architects GmbH
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.