“iA Writer creates a clean, simple and distraction-free writing environment for when you really need to focus on your words.” ***** The New York Times
“iA Writer is an example of how powerful simplicity and accessibility can be.” ***** The Guardian
“iA Writer is all about textual production—writing this phrase, this sentence, this word at this moment.” ***** WIRED
4 x Best of App Store Winner
# The Simple Writing App
iA Writer removes distractions. Giving you a calm, focused, writing space, so you can express yourself clearly.
Focus Mode dims everything but the current sentence or paragraph, helping you stay in the flow.
Don’t worry about the format. First, write in plain text. Then preview in HTML.
Search, sort, and quickly swap between documents from different clouds without leaving the window.
iA Writer includes an inverted light-on-dark-mode, perfect for working day and night.
Spot superfluous adjectives, weak verbs, repetitive nouns, false conjunctions and clean your text of the usual rumble.
Customize your templates and export to WordPress or Medium, HTML, Microsoft Word (.docx), or PDF.
# 100% Text
Embed links, pictures, tables and text files in plain text and see them in preview.
# Get in Touch
- Visit ia.net/writer for more information
- Visit ia.net/writer/support for support and feedback
- Let us know what you think on Twitter @iAWriter
# A Typographic Christmas
- New typeface in three flavors
- Mono: Single character width, the classic
- Duo: Two widths, freeing M and W
- Quattro: Four widths, for a cleaner text image
- Over 1,000 optical variations seamlessly adapt to provide the best writing experience in any environment
- 14 text sizes in Editor and Preview
- Many Chinese, Japanese, and Korean typography improvements, including emphasis dots
- Bold, italic, and strikethrough commands are much more reliable and work inside words
- High quality math equation typesetting in Preview using KaTeX
# Library Locations
- Now support Desktop & Documents in iCloud
- Can be added from anywhere in iCloud Drive
# Fully-Featured Export to Microsoft Word
- Rebuilt from the ground up
- Compatible with Microsoft Word 2007 or newer, Apple Pages, and Google Docs
- Supports local images, footnotes, citations, page breaks, tables, math, headings, unordered lists, ordered lists, task lists, definition lists, blockquotes, bold, italic, CJK emphasis, strikethrough, superscript, subscript, links, horizontal rules, code
# Other Improvements
- Added visible filename when switching between tabs with hidden title bar
- Copy URL command to open files from menu in Library
- Command-Click links in Editor
- Use - to exclude words from searches: -microsoft word
- Inline code command
- Typing suggestions can be enabled in Touch Bar
- Korean and Russian localizations
- Added help articles
- Better hashtag detection
Ratings and Reviews
Ever closer to perfection
I’ve been a user of iA Writer since the first version, and it’s been genuinely fascinating over the years to watch as this product has been refined. Arguably, what started as one of the most scant feature-sets on the market became a little too bloated with the ‘Pro’ version a couple of years ago. It’s possible to see 4.0 and now 5.0 as deliberate steps back to what made this software so powerful in the first instance. The recent addition of the Nitti Duospace font was a revelation, and the addition of the Organiser – new to 5.0 – is a well-considered evolution, implemented with the finesse I’ve come to expect from this developer.
Whether it’s a lengthy email, an blogpost, journal entry, or a piece of a longer fiction work, I start everything in iA Writer because it does precisely what it’s been designed to do since 1.0: it gets out of the way and lets me write. From there I can take my text elsewhere if needed, but no other software I’ve encountered makes the act of simply writing as comfortable.
The best plain text writing app
iA writier ended my search for the perfect writing app. I wanted plain text, companion iOS app with seamless sync, markdown & focus modes and effortless preview and library management, and iA does it all with more. I can write university assignments, meeting minutes, blog posts, music reviews, daily journal and reports and academic writing all in one place. Inclusion of figures, images and tables is a snap and outlining long form documents can be done with nested .txt files. And tthen there’s the stylish interface, without a bunch of unnecessary options, meaning the focus is on the writing. In my opinion the best plain text writer on macOS and I’m looking forward to see what comes next!
Coming from Ulysses there are some features that I miss, like easily changing the order or scenes but I love the clean interface. It encourages me to write, which is a real bonus. It syncs via iCloud effortlessly as I use both Mac and iOS versions.
I have been a long time Scrivener user and will always remain so but iA Writer is perfect for stories and blogging. In it’s current form I would find it difficult to handle 80,000 words plus as I like to change the order of events as the plot unfolds.
Never-the-less it’s a great piece of software for any writer.
- Information Architects GmbH
- 15.1 MB
- OS X 10.11 or later, 64-bit processor
- English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2010–2018 Information Architects GmbH
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.