Now anyone can create stunning textbooks, cookbooks, history books, picture books, and more for iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Start with one of the Apple-designed templates that feature a wide variety of page layouts. Add your own text and images with drag-and-drop ease. Use Multi-Touch widgets to include interactive photo galleries, movies, Keynote presentations, 3D objects, and more. Preview your book on your iOS device or Mac at any time. Then submit your finished work to Apple Books in a few simple steps. And before you know it, you’re a published author.
• Give your book a great beginning with templates that include a choice of page designs with matching fonts, colors, and textures
• Quickly customize your book with text and images, create new layouts, and even save a custom template
• Easily add a cover, video introduction, table of contents, copyright page, dedication, and foreword
Beautiful text and layouts
• Use a variety of text styles including custom fonts to give your book a rich yet consistent look
• Add text, shapes, charts, tables, and media anywhere on the page
• Import a chapter written in Pages or Microsoft Word and apply a great-looking layout from your current template
• Add sophisticated mathematical expressions with native equation editing using both LaTeX and MathML notation
• Add any word to the glossary with a single click and easily include photos, images, charts, tables, and shapes next to any definition
• Automatically create a portrait view of your landscape book, which allows readers to focus on the text
• Choose from a variety of widgets that add Multi-Touch interactivity to your book
• Add a photo gallery, chapter review, movie, audio file, Keynote presentation, scrolling sidebar, dynamic pop-over, interactive image with callouts, 3D object, or custom HTML anywhere in your book
• Many widgets include placeholders for titles and captions and are automatically numbered so you can reference them in your main text
• Add accessibility descriptions to any widget so that it can be used by sight-impaired readers easily with VoiceOver
Export for Apple Books or iTunes U
• Preview your book in Apple Books on iPhone, iPad and on Mac to see how it looks and works
• Submit your book to Apple Books for sale or free download in a few simple steps
• Export your book to share on iTunes U or to give to others
• Export your book as a PDF file
• macOS 10.11 or later
• 2GB of RAM
• 1.2GB of available disk space
• Keynote 6.0 or later (required for importing presentations created in Keynote 6.0+)
• Pages 5.0 or later (required for importing documents created in Pages 5.0+)
• iBooks for iOS 4.3 or later (required for previewing on an iOS device)
• iBooks for Mac 1.3 or later (required for previewing on Mac)
• iTunes Producer 2.9 or later (required for book publishing)
• Network Connection (required for book publishing)
This update includes stability and performance improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
This has the potential to be great in what it could do for books but the software, as has been stated eleswhere in reviews, is poor and out of date. If you’re used to using design packages like Adobe’s Creative Suite, iBooks Author will be a lesson in frustration. It also doesn’t offer that much in the ways of interaction - some pictures to swipe through, video’s, pop overs (though these are very limited and don’t allow you to place where the pop ups appear). It results in an 'interactve book’ (I use the term loosely) that feels and works like the internet from the 90’s.
It could be great, but it currently doesn’t reach it’s potential and feels a little negelected form a company who’s sole focus seems to be phones.
A surprisingly out-of-date tool from Apple. It appears to have been neglected and is in sore need of a little attention. It has the look and feel of something from approx 2010. Several of the included templates are dissapointingly inflexible as they don’t allow a user to move pages or sections around. Don’t know who at Apple has responsibiity for this. Perhaps they have better things to do than to maintain what could be quite a helpful tool. Instead, iBooks Author has been allowed to stagnate. It may be ‘free’, but free need not equate to ‘frustrating’.
Very un-Apple like.
In agreement with others that this needs an update and additional functionality in editing. Also that you should be able to adjust a wider range of options.
Waould rather pay 99 pence and have a robust app with seamless workflow.
- Apple Distribution International
- 414.3 MB
- OS X 10.11 or later
- English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011-2018 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.