Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Now anyone can create stunning iBooks textbooks, cookbooks, history books, picture books, and more for iPad and Mac. Start with one of the Apple-designed templates that feature a wide variety of page layouts. Add your own text and images with drag-and-drop ease. Use Multi-Touch widgets to include interactive photo galleries, movies, Keynote presentations, 3D objects, and more. Preview your book on your iPad or Mac at any time. Then submit your finished work to the iBooks Store in a few simple steps. And before you know it, you’re a published author.
• Give your book a great beginning with templates that include a choice of page designs with matching fonts, colors, and textures
• Quickly customize your book with text and images, create new layouts, and even save a custom template
• Easily add a cover, video introduction, table of contents, copyright page, dedication, and foreword
Beautiful text and layouts
• Use a variety of text styles including custom fonts to give your book a rich yet consistent look
• Add text, shapes, charts, tables, and media anywhere on the page
• Import a chapter written in Pages or Microsoft Word and apply a great-looking layout from your current template
• Add sophisticated mathematical expressions with native equation editing using both LaTeX and MathML notation
• Add any word to the glossary with a single click and easily include photos, images, charts, tables, and shapes next to any definition
• Automatically create a portrait view of your landscape book, which allows iPad readers to focus on the text
• Choose from a variety of widgets that add Multi-Touch interactivity to your book
• Add a photo gallery, chapter review, movie, audio file, Keynote presentation, scrolling sidebar, dynamic pop-over, interactive image with callouts, 3D object, or custom HTML anywhere in your book
• Many widgets include placeholders for titles and captions and are automatically numbered so you can reference them in your main text
• Add accessibility descriptions to any widget so that it can be used by sight-impaired readers easily with VoiceOver
Export for iBooks Store or iTunes U
• Preview your book in iBooks on iPad and on Mac to see how it looks and works
• Submit your book to the iBooks Store for sale or free download in a few simple steps
• Export your book in iBooks format to share on iTunes U or to give to others
• Export your book as a PDF file
• OS X 10.9 or later
• 2GB of RAM
• 1.2GB of available disk space
• Keynote 6.0 or later (required for importing presentations created in Keynote 6.0+)
• Pages 5.0 or later (required for importing documents created in Pages 5.0+)
• iBooks for iOS 3.0 or later (required for previewing on iPad)
• iBooks for Mac 1.0 or later (required for previewing on Mac)
• iTunes Producer 2.9 or later (required for book publishing)
• Network Connection (required for book publishing)
What's New in Version 2.2
• Import ePub files
• Import Adobe InDesign IDML files
• Create customized books with new Blank templates
• New hyperlink options: link to a location in another book, link from an image, and more
• Improved transition support in Keynote widget
• Enable auto-play for media widget, Keynote widget, and HTML widget
• Readers can now interact with the HTML widget right on a book page
A bit difficult to fathom at times.
Just a few niggles but it could just be me being stupid! I cannot find any simple way to count the words per page. The other thing is this - I took the process to publish all the way; and as far as I could go, only to be told there was no such document in my files. The file was 14 pages long but it refuses to publish or recognise its there.
The app is very good although it takes a bit of ‘brain’ to fathom.
One other little niggle - the print page is ridiculously difficult to understand and is ambiguous. It urgently needs simplifying.
Setting up the front end is problematic as there are too many unexplained variations. There is no explanation of what to do if you dont actually need the choices given. I actually was very irritated that there was insufficient guidance.
As with all these apps what is totally obvious to the designer is VERY OFTEN NOT obvious to the user and it continues to frustrate me when designers dont seem to give enough pop up help.
Despite these niggles the app is good
Really polished, stable and simple to use. It does what it says etc, BUT, ah you sensed one coming didn’t you. What would be really really nice is the option to have a night mode and also the ability to just have the editor itself with NO peripherals to distract. Then it would get 6 stars from me.
Stable, but did someone forget something?
Looks a bit nicer on Yosemite with the update, but did someone forget the Add Pages button? It sticks out like a sore thumb..
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: 16 October 2014
- Version: 2.2
- Size: 412 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Developer: iTunes S.a.r.l.
- © 2011-2014 Apple Inc.
Compatibility: OS X 10.9 or later