iCab Mobile (Web Browser)
By Alexander Clauss
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
iCab Mobile is a web browser for the iOS. It provides many unique and useful features you won't find in other iPhone browsers.
iCab Mobile can upload any files on web pages, like uploading photos on flickr.com or Facebook.com. Due to limitations of the iOS this does not everywhere, but it works fine on many web sites.
iCab Mobile comes with several default search engines you can choose from. You can easily add new search engines. Search suggestions from google and yahoo can be activated on the iPad. It's also possible to search within a web page.
FILLING OUT FORMS:
iCab Mobile can save web forms and restore the form content later (manually or automatically). The saved forms data can be password protected.
There's a built-in and customizable URL-based filter. The default filters block many advertising banners. You can edit, add or remove filters. It's possible to switch off images to save bandwidth.
iCab Mobile supports Tabs, so you can open multiple web pages at the same time. Links can be opened in Tabs (in the foreground or background) manually or automatically. iCab can save the tabs when quitting so these can be loaded even when being offline, the next time the App is launched.
Bookmarks can be organized in folders. You can import/export the bookmarks from/to your PC/Mac browser. Bookmarks can be also saved as "Offline Bookmarks" which can be even opened without an internet connection.
iCab Mobile provides a fullscreen mode where the whole screen is used to display the web page. No screen space is wasted for toolbars.
iCab Mobile has a built-in Download Manager so you can download almost all files from the internet. The downloads can be easily transfered to a Mac/PC/Linux computer but also to other Apps on the device which can open these files
You can create multiple user accounts, each user has its own private bookmarks, filters, settings, etc.
iCab Mobile supports Dropbox. Export/Import bookmarks; transfer downloads, images, files, web pages to your Dropbox account.
- Configurable multi-touch gestures
- QuickStarter feature
- AirPrint support
- Browser ID (UserAgent) is configurable
- iCab Mobile fully supports international domain names (IDN - domain names with language-specific characters).
- Send (smaller) downloads via email
- Cookie Manager, lists all cookies, cookies can be deleted individually
- Private Browsing (no history and no cookies are stored)
- Privacy settings allows to delete all kinds of private data (history, cookies, databases, saved forms, passwords etc.)
- Option to pass the current web page to another App on the device which can open the page
- URL autocompletion based on bookmarks and/or history
- Simple built-in RSS reader
- Save images, whole web pages, PDF files
- Kiosk Mode - a restricted variation of the fullscreen mode for Kiosk environments.
- Addressbook support lets you access the web pages from the addressbook.
- When launching iCab can either open an empty page, the homepage or restore the Tabs which were open the last time
- Page-Compression is supported to save bandwith.
- There are different color schemes and designs
- Document Sharing lets you pass downloads and files to other Apps in the device
What's New in Version 8.0.1
I apologize for the problems some users had with the last release. This release was an almost complete rewrite of the App and unfortunately some serious issues were not detected in time. I the new update should fix all the know problems.
In any case, please report any issues you have with the App, only then I can make it better.
- The Browser ID can now also be set via Icon in the toolbar or from the Action menu
- Fixes an issue with bookmark lets
- Fixes an issue with some popup windows.
- Fixes issues with the shortcuts for bluetooth keyboards
- Fixes an issue with certain modules which could cause a crash
- Fixes an an issue when saving all Tabs in the bookmarks at once
- Fixes an issue with the in-page search
- Fixes and issue when saving a web page
- several other smaller bugfixes and improvements.
astonishingly comprehensive 👍
V8 - it gets better.
Think of any feature you like in any other browser, I'm sure icab has it.
wide reaching, far grabbing, deep meaning, good looking, extensively adaptable, thoroughly thoughtful, ever-so-tweakable, better than many, doesn't phone home, commendable iOS browser.
one has to wonder about anyone having issues whether they're prone to operator error, hard to say. it is a flexible browser, so dig in. set it up as basic or complex as suits you. if you're not sure what or how to do this, get a grown up to help.
ps. also, fully supported by the developer based on the questions and queries I've put to him.
If iOS would let me swap Safari for a better default browser this would be it. Its better in every way, but especially in file upload and download. I now only use Safari when iOS opens it and have a setting to send the page immediately to iCab.
This app and FileBrowser make up for all the missing browser features and file management issues with iOS. In fact, without these two apps I doubt I would be using iOS at all!
Had a few problems with the latest major update, but all seems good again now. Thanks.
Heartbleed - iCab Mobile checks for certificate revocation
With Heartbleed, many compromised websites have or will be getting new SSL certificates. The old SSL certificates will be revoked. If I use iOS Safari or Chrome and go to a website with a revoked SSL certificate, they do not warn me that the certificate has been revoked, i.e. I may be visiting a suspicious. iCab Mobile does detect revoked certificates which is great!
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: 07 April 2014
- Version: 8.0.1
- Size: 10.0 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Developer: Alexander Clauss
- © 2014 Alexander Clauss
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.