By Plex Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Plex (https://plex.tv) organizes all of your video, music, and photo collections and streams them to all of your screens. With Plex, you can easily stream all of your content to your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch from your home computer running Plex Media Server (available for free at https://plex.tv/downloads).
- Plex makes your media beautiful with rich descriptions, artwork, and other related information.
- Plex automatically converts your media on-the-fly to play on any device.
- Easily share your media with friends and family.
- Browse, fling and control your media on any Plex-enabled device.
- Sync media to your phone or tablet for offline viewing (requires a premium Plex Pass subscription)
- Sync media to your favorite cloud provider including Google Drive, Dropbox, and Box, so you can stream media even when your server is offline (requires a premium Plex Pass subscription)
- Access a wide range of online channels such as TED, Revision3, and TWiT.
- Queue online videos from sites like Vimeo and YouTube and watch them later on any device.
With Plex, your media universe is constantly expanding. Getting up and running is easy, so start now!
NOTE: YOU MUST HAVE A PLEX MEDIA SERVER (AVAILABLE FOR FREE AT http://plex.tv/downloads/) INSTALLED AND RUNNING TO STREAM LOCAL MEDIA. VERSION 0.9.9.13 OR HIGHER IS REQUIRED. DRM-protected content (such as video from the iTunes store), ISO disc images, and VIDEO_TS folders are not supported.
What's New in Version 3.5.3
- Improved compatibility with iOS 8
- Improved AirPlay support
- Music playback improved
- Updated Chromecast software from Google
- Additional minor bug fixes
Nice app full marks for the looks of it...
Managed to get it to work with mybooklive so the naming convention went out the window but all still worked and with the Family share option in ios got it on my iPad and iPhone 6+ and the wife's iPad 2 and seemed to work fine after a bit of fiddling about, my mate even sent me a 'Share' link so I can view his films though it did take a reinstall of the app on the iPhone to see his shared library all in all looks a great app and software shall be trying it out fully on my iPhone 6+ over the next few weeks...
Edit 10th Jan 15': sneaky.... they have just raised the price of this app by a £1.00 it's now £3.99
Edit 26th Jan 15' love it and works brilliantly with the plex app I downloaded onto the Samsung TV now the missus can't complain she has nothing to watch.... ;-)
You do NOT have to pay for subscriptions I paid for the app only and you can stream from your media server to iPad, iPhone whether you are on your home wi-if or out and about on phones network or friends wi-if
Unstable and buggy
I've had a synology diskstation (213J) for sometime and have been using the rather good synology media player which comes with an iOS app which while basic works very very well.
Plex has recently offered support for the 213J so I thought I would try it out below are my findings:
- Crashes for no reason
- very slow to load thumbs (synology app is much much faster)
- layout is confusing (doesn't seem to offer categories for instance)
- Chromecast support is buggy, says disconnected then connected then disconnected again within minutes
- issues finding my diskstation (either takes a few attempts or first time) synology app takes longer but is consistent
- some screens don't always fit (ie player button was halfway off the screen once, your developers need to redraw the screen correctly!)
So overall I'm very disappointed I hope the developers are able to improve support for synology as I just paid £4 for this and I feel ripped off as the app is unusable currently.
I would also suggest they look at why the synology media player is so much quicker to load thumbnails, clearly plex are resizing the images on the nas and this takes forever. Synology don't appear to do this and it's much much quicker to download fixed sizes. I suggest you consider hosting the images yourself - for this small extra cost you would save a lot of CPU power/time!!!
Very good but sync feature needs refining.
The app is perfect for streaming purposes and has allowed me to create a Netflix of my own. However the sync feature doesn't yet reach its potential. This would definitely be a 5 star app if background downloading activity was added. Also useful would be an update to reduce the bugs encountered when syncing or that you did not need to restart the sync every time the app was closed - this can make downloading a film a very tedious process.
Is there any news on when Onedrive support will be added with its 1TB of free storage with office 365 sub it would be perfect for me, especially seeing as my laptop seems reluctant to allow remote access.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: 23 January 2015
- Version: 3.5.3
- Size: 13.9 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bokmål, Norwegian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Lithuanian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Developer: Plex Inc.
- © 2015 Plex, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimised for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.