By Google, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Google Maps app for iPhone and iPad makes navigating your world faster and easier. Find the best spots in town and the information you need to get there.
• Comprehensive, accurate maps in 220 countries and territories
• Voice-guided GPS navigation for driving, biking, and walking
• Transit directions and maps for over 15,000 cities and towns
• Live traffic conditions, incident reports, and automatic rerouting to find the best route
• Detailed information on more than 100 million places
• Street View and indoor imagery for restaurants, museums, and more
* Some features not available in all countries
* Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
What's New in Version 4.9.0
• Label places to see them on your map and in search suggestions
• Night mode in navigation to see route more easily after dark
• Edit your posted photo captions
• Bug fixes
Not quite as good as I'd like
Everything is pretty good, & as everyone says it's much better than the Apple Maps. But it isn't as good as the old version when it comes to Streetview that I use a lot when planning a journey, & to just explore places I'd never visit.
With the old Streetview one had a little thumbnail map in the bottom corner to see which direction one was looking in. The new version has abandoned that, so when one lands in a street it's impossible to know which way one is looking. It's crazy removing this, please can we have it back Google!
26th August, a new annoyance. The Street View has now twice disappeared, in it's place I am asked to write a review, there is no way to access Street View until I write something here. It's really inconvenient!
Good for transport, but could do more
Better than Apple maps but has some annoying traits - stations don't reveal their names until you zoom in close making it hard to figure out quickly what stations are nearby if you have poor data connection. Also you should be able to add notes or tags to saved locations otherwise you forget what you saved them for and you can't at a glance tell what type of location it is.
Restaurant/pub reviews aren't as numerous as Yelp or trip advisor - the app should pull in reviews from these well-established sites. So lots of room for improvement, yet no sign of it.
Also - 750MB?! The app should regularly clean it's cache.
Was great. Now often terrible...
The current version version take forever to load on app startup on iOS 8, even longer for the satellite view, sometimes several minutes! Whereas the version on iOS 5.1.1 still loads almost instantly into satellite view.
Street View is now really poor. Frequently, previously available places instead show an entirely unrelated place several miles away! The images for the correct place still exist because it is possible to a nearby place and 'travel in'! Many previously (reasonably) up-to-date images have been replaced by images that are several years old, sometimes alternating up a street!
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: 06 August 2015
- Version: 4.9.0
- Size: 28.9 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bokmål, Norwegian, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Developer: Google, Inc.
- © Google Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimised for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.