A powerful yet simple podcast player, with Smart Speed, Voice Boost, and Smart Playlists to help you listen to more podcasts in more places, try new shows, and completely control your experience.
Overcast is a modern, fully featured audio podcast player with many useful features in a simple, intuitive interface:
- Download podcasts for playing anytime, even when offline.
- Search and browse for new podcasts, plus get recommendations from Twitter.
- Create custom Playlists with smart filters and per-podcast priorities, and rearrange the list whenever you want.
- Receive optional push notifications when new episodes arrive.
- Subscribe to a podcast, or just add an episode: try new shows without committing.
- Download podcasts over cellular, set a sleep timer, or use Voice Boost to enhance and normalize speech volume.
- Adjust playback speed, and use Smart Speed to shrink silences and pick up extra speed without distorting the conversation.
- 3D Touch support
- Rich notifications
- Apple Watch app with standalone podcast playback
- CarPlay support
Overcast is ad-supported. If you choose to purchase Overcast Premium to remove ads, payment will be charged to your iTunes account, and your account will be charged for renewal 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. Auto-renewal may be turned off at any time by going to your settings in the iTunes Store after purchase. Current price for Overcast Premium is $9.99 USD per year, and may vary from country to country.
- Support for new iPad screen sizes
- Changed all Infograph complications on Apple Watch to the dark icon
- Fixed a bug that could cause crashing in the background
Ratings and Reviews
Listen to your favourite podcasts when you're out and about.
I'm sorry to say my hopes are dashed. The Apple Watch addition just doesn't work. I've tried auto sync and manual but it just won't consistently send my podcasts to my watch to play without my phone. I'm so disappointed. This is still easily a 5 star app but the Watch feature is no good at the moment. I'll keep hoping. App is brilliant- watch is not.
5.0 Update- YES! Apple Watch support!! No need for my phone to listen now, using my watch as a standalone podcast player will be amazing- I say 'will be' because I'm having issues actually transferring the podcast to my watch. With the 5.0.1 update I have managed to transfer about 5 shows but it's a little inconsistent still and I can't leave it overnight to sync. Having said this, the app is getting better and better over the 2-3 years I have been using it so I'm impressed with the improvements that are ongoing.
----I have used many, MANY different podcast apps over the years- then I found Overcast. Simple and powerful with a free (unintrusive ad supported) or paid version which is well priced but doesn't offer much benefit. Don't bother searching for other podcast apps. Just use this one- trust me!
The best podcasting app. Period.
I use smart speed all the time. It's great. I have saved around 80 minutes while listening to around 10 Hello Internet episodes (each of which are around 1-1.5 hours long).
Voice boost is also awesome. You can have your phone at least 20% quieter without noticing a difference.
IF THE THOUGHT OF ADS PUTS YOU OFF, don't let them! They are ridiculously unobtrusive, and you're hardly ever in the app while you are using it anyway.
Other than smart speed and voice boost, the in app player is the best feature of overcast. The intuitive layout is so much easier and cleaner than the Apple Podcasts app that the two are incomparable.
The Apple watch custom player is brilliant. Of course, the tinge of orange is present all round; you can control the podcast playing on your phone, and even change the sound level with the digital crown. My sole annoyance with the apple watch integration is that it takes ages to transfer podcasts, but that's an iOS problem. Also, more complications would be nice.
The only other thing I have been even mildly annoyed about is how easy it is to remove a podcast from your library; this deletes all currently downloaded podcasts and forgets everything you have listened to so far. Only a minor thing and obviously it's easily avoidable.
- Overcast Radio, LLC
- 14 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2014–2018 Overcast Radio, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Overcast Premium £8.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.