Star Walk 2 - Night Sky Map
By Vito Technology Inc.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Star Walk 2 is an exquisite stargazing app enabling you to explore the night sky through the screen of your device. Make an effortless journey through thousands of stars, comets, and constellations. All you have to do is point your device to the sky!
Star Walk 2 taps your device’s sensors and the GPS to determine the exact position of stars, planets, constellations, comets, ISS, satellites, star clusters, nebulae and meteor showers in the night sky.
“She’s a beauty.”- The Next Web
“Star Walk 2 is a terrific introduction to astronomy for young and old. It’s also handy for serious stargazers for observing planning.” - TUAW
“Star Walk 2 is visually stunning.” - PCmag
“This is a very beautiful and unusual application that turns your phone into a real planetarium.” - Free apps for me
“For those who enjoy the original app, Star Walk 2 is worth the upgrade — the interface is gorgeous. Anyone with even a passing interest in astronomy should grab Star Walk 2.” - iLounge
“It is worth every penny.” - PadGadget
⁕ BEST OF 2014: The next generation of the best-selling Star Walk, winner of Apple Design Award, used by over 10 million people. ⁕
Star Walk 2 is the sequel to the original Star Walk, which is one of the most popular apps for stargazing. If you enjoy exploring the stars and the skies above, then this is a must-have app for your arsenal.
- Sky map watching day and night
- A huge number of demonstrated celestial objects
- Augmented reality view
- Real time celestial bodies tracking
- Stunning 3D models of constellations and other sky objects
- The ability to manage time with “Time machine”
- Deep sky objects
- Pro stargazing (the sky at different wavelengths)
- Night mode
- An abundance of interesting information
► Star Walk 2 shows night sky map on your screen in whatever direction you are pointing the device. Orient your device toward the sky and the app activates your camera so you can see charted objects appear superimposed on live sky objects.
► As you hold your phone up and point it towards the sky, Star Walk 2 follows your motions using the built-in gyroscope to match the map on your screen to the stars seen from your location. Easily find any star, constellation, or satellite in the sky by tapping Search.
► Get a deeper understanding of the constellation`s scale and place in the night sky map. Enjoy observing wonderful 3D models of constellations, turn them upside down, read their stories.
► Touching a clock-face icon at the upper-right corner of the screen allows you select any date and time and lets you go forward or backward in time and watch the night sky in fast motion.
► Find and study deep sky objects such as meteor showers, planetary nebulae, star clusters, etc.
► A slider at the left-hand edge of the screen lets you see the sky at different wavelengths. See objects that are only visible at radio, microwave, infrared, ultraviolet, X-ray, or gamma-ray frequencies.
► The night-mode of the astronomical telescope will make sky and stars gazing at night time more comfortable.
New in Star Walk 2:
- Incredible 3D models of celestial bodies*
- All-new stunning design
- New simpler and cleaner interface in vibrant colors for retina displays
- Atmospheric visual and sound effects, stirring soundtrack
- Exclusive handcrafted artwork for constellations, inspired by minimalist low-poly art
*Available through In-App Purchases.
If you’ve ever said to yourself “I’d like to learn the constellations” or wondered “Is that a star or a planet?”, Star Walk 2 is the app you’ve been looking for!
What's New in Version 2.4.2
Minor bug fixes
Latest version has a multitude of features, though that makes it a bit slower starting than the earlier version. I don't use all of the features (so I can't comment) but the interactive sky maps are really good - note: it does need to know where you are to give an accurate star map!!!
Apple ar kit
The app will be a lot better if it has ar (augmented reality) because it will look so much cooler and probably will be a lot easier to use
I love this app
- Category: Education
- Updated: 18 September 2017
- Version: 2.4.2
- Size: 254 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Developer: Vito Technology Inc.
- © Vito Technology, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Star Tracker: Full Version£2.99
- Constellations 3D on Sky Map£0.99
- Satellite Finder in Sky Above£0.99
- Explore Solar System Objects£0.99
- Deep Space Objects Finder£0.99
- Watch and Explore Planets£0.99
- Educational Space Cartoons£0.99