The interactive Grammar of English (iGE) is a comprehensive introductory course in English grammar which takes you from the most basic elements to the most complex constructions.
iGE is a guide to the structure of the English Language that is specifically designed for mobile devices to meet the needs of busy teachers and students.
REAL ENGLISH, REAL GRAMMAR
iGE uses lots of examples of real language taken from the ICE-GB Corpus, compiled and analysed at UCL and used by linguistics researchers across the world.
We use spoken and written English examples to demonstrate that grammar is applicable to all language use, not just so-called 'Good English'.
LEARN FROM EXPERTS
iGE is written by a team of linguists at University College London (UCL), independently ranked as one of the world's best Universities. The grammar you'll be learning is based on recent research and best practice in the field.
The iGE course covers the same ground as a first year undergraduate course in Modern English Grammar. But that does not mean it is difficult to follow! We have written iGE to make grammar accessible, with clear explanations, colourful notation and lots of examples.
WHO IS iGE FOR?
iGE is for everyone with an interest in the grammar of English.
The course is is suitable for
• anyone wishing to learn English or improve their English
• students studying English language at secondary or high school
• those studying English as a second or foreign language
• teachers of the English language
• undergraduate students of linguistics
• students of English literature
• journalists, civil servants and anyone interested in clear, plain English
WHAT ARE WE GIVING AWAY?
This is the free 'Lite' version of iGE. A full version is also available.
iGE Lite contains
• A complete grammatical glossary: a searchable A-Z of grammatical terms (see the picture below).
• Three chapters from the interactive Grammar of English, on word classes, nouns and determiners. To complete the course you will need to buy iGE, which is available for a modest sum from the App Store.
• Six interactive exercises and quizzes, to let you test yourself and make learning fun. The complete course has 36 dynamic exercises.
Our exercises use real English examples. Exercises can be timed, and for a real challenge, played against a ticking clock.
A change to the exercise engine to make the interface even more responsive.
Ratings and Reviews
I have recently purchased this app, after originally downloading the kite version, because I am studying English Language, Literature and French at University. The app is brilliant, it is not a 'dead' app as there are many variations of exercises to do. However, I would recommend you add some exercises to practice which word class is what in a sentence. This would improve the app exponentially. I know there are these types of exercise in each word class type but it would be brilliant if before the phrases exercise it was available to test knowledge.
Brilliant app, would definitely recommend downloading
I'm first year law student and English is my second language. On my last few essays I was told my gramma needs improving... after reading through the app I'm very sure I will improve as it has what I need. Great application I'm very impressed with it.
Very useful grammar app in pocket
Thanks for UCL all the efforts to create this app. It would be great if the full version could lower the price for student.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.