With a streamlined design and intuitive editing features, iMovie lets you enjoy your videos and tell stories like never before. Browse your video library, share favorite moments, and create beautiful movies that you can edit at resolutions up to 4K. You can even start editing movies on an iPhone or iPad, and finish them on a Mac. And when your movie is ready for its big premiere, you can enjoy it on all your devices in iMovie Theater.
Browse and share video
• See all your video clips and photos organized in one place
• Quickly share a clip or a portion of a clip
• Background import lets you begin watching and sharing video instantly
Make Hollywood-style trailers
• Choose from 29 trailer templates with stunning graphics and original scores by some of the world’s top film composers
• Customize movie studio logos, cast names, and credits
• Select the best videos and photos for your trailer with the help of animated drop zones
Create beautiful 4K and HD movies
• Edit movies at up to 4K resolution with video from iPhone 6s, GoPro, and other Ultra HD cameras on compatible Macs (1)
• Support for 1080p HD video at 60 frames per second for smoother, more life-like action shots
• Import movies and trailers created using iMovie on iPhone or iPad to finish them on your Mac
• Enhance your movie by adding titles, transitions, and 3D globes and travel maps
• Speed up and slow down the action with fast-forward and slow-motion effects
• Create sophisticated picture-in-picture, side-by-side, and green screen effects
• Create a soundtrack using built-in music and sound effects, songs from your iTunes library, songs you’ve recorded in GarageBand, and your own narration
Fine-tune every clip
• Instantly improve the look and sound of your video using one-click Enhance
• Give your video a boost with easy-to-use color controls
• Stabilize shaky video for a smoother picture that’s easier to watch
• Automatically zoom in on faces and glide across panorama photos with the Ken Burns Effect
• Choose from 48 fun video and audio effects
Watch anywhere with iMovie Theater
• Fill iMovie Theater with posters as you share clips, movies, and trailers
• Access iMovie Theater on all your devices with iCloud
• Enjoy iMovie Theater on your HDTV with Apple TV
Share with friends and family
• Email videos with Mail Drop when signed in to iCloud
• Share directly to YouTube at up to 4K resolution
• Publish movies directly to Facebook and Vimeo
• Share any video frame as an image
iOS Developers: Create App Previews for the App Store
• Import iPhone and iPad screen recording videos captured with QuickTime Player
• Highlight features with 11 animated titles designed to showcase apps in action
• Export finished videos using the App Preview share option
(1) 4K export requires a Mac from 2011 or later with at least 4 GB RAM. Full-resolution 4K playback is supported on iMac with Retina display and Mac Pro (2013 or later) when connected to a 4K display.
• App Preview creation now supports iPhone X and additional iPad resolutions
• Resolves an issue that could prevent logging in to Facebook
• Resolves an issue in which HEVC video clips and HEIF photos could appear black in the viewer
• Resolves an issue in which the import date was used as the capture date when importing from certain SD cards or AVCHD cameras
• Resolves a playback issue with Sound Designer 2 files
• Resolves an issue in which iMovie could hang when quitting the app
• Resolves an issue in which opacity controls may disappear when using iMovie in German or Polish
• Fixes an issue that could prevent sending certain iMovie projects to Final Cut Pro
• Addresses an issue that could lead to slower media import from SD cards on iMac Pro
• Improves stability when working with Camtwist Studio
Ratings and Reviews
Non Linear Video Editing included in the OS. Amazing!
When I moved to OSX a few years back, I could not believe in my eyes. A fully functinal non linear video editor coming with the OS! Relatively easy to use. Responsive user interface even when doing work in the background. Things may be hidden behind the movie library but at any point you can get access to your files from the file system. A decent set of video procesing tools and more.
True, it has a few unintuitive things the most weird one being the events/projects separation that could have been done so much better but you get used to it. The titles collection is not particulary good. And a few other stuff.
But the bottom line is that you can do proper video editiong on a Mac out of the box without having to download and pay for the bloated new Adobe stuff.
Does what you want… nothing more.
I’ve never had any problems using this app. It’s always done the job so I can’t complain. I’ve made close to 100 videos using it. The only thing I would change is the fact it never has anything new. I would happily pay for add-ons or extensions. To make it more interesting or exciting. To breath some life into the original software. To ignite my imagination and enthusiasm. There are plenty of other apps out there that have everything iMovie has and a handful of extra features which would be great if iMovie didn't exist but they're not really worth buying for the little you’d gain when compared to iMovie. Come on Apple give us something new. I have cash…..
Okay to start with!
So I’ve been using this and it’s great for beginners! If you just want to put something together without smashing your face through a wall with frustration this’ll do the job. Unfortunately though when you start wanted to be a bit more creative with your videos you might start getting bored.
1. The text options are, frankly, terrible. You cannot put more than one textbox (oh sorry, titles) up at one point and it’s really awkward to adjust the positioning of the boxes. For example, before I started a video I wanted to do a little introduction bit with texts at different places on the screen. That relatively simple task is currently impossible on iMovie.
2. Importing photos can be straight up weird. You will fit into one of three categories:
- You won’t have a problem
- Your photo will be bigger than 1MB and won’t upload unless you adjust the size of the photo (use Preview, adjust size)
I just got off the phone with Apple support and apparently it’s uploading photos above 4000 pixels that’s the issue. But yeah, besides that easy, intuitive app!
- Apple Distribution International
- 2.3 GB
- macOS 10.13.2 or later
- English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 1999-2001, 2003-2018 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.