With a streamlined design and intuitive editing features, iMovie lets you enjoy your videos and tell stories like never before. Browse your video library, share favourite moments, and create beautiful movies that you can edit at resolutions up to 4K. You can even start editing movies on an iPhone or iPad, and finish them on a Mac.
Browse and share video
• See all your video clips and photos organised in one place
• Quickly share a clip or a portion of a clip
• Background import lets you begin watching and sharing video instantly
Make Hollywood-style trailers
• Choose from 29 trailer templates with stunning graphics and original scores by some of the world’s top film composers
• Customise movie studio logos, cast names and credits
• Select the best videos and photos for your trailer with the help of animated drop zones
Create beautiful 4K and HD movies
• Edit movies at up to 4K resolution with video from iPhone 6s or later, GoPro and other Ultra HD cameras on compatible Macs (1)
• Support for 1080p HD video at 60 frames per second for smoother, more lifelike action shots
• Import movies and trailers created using iMovie on iPhone or iPad to finish them on your Mac
• Enhance your movie by adding titles, transitions, and 3D globes and travel maps
• Speed up and slow down the action with fast-forward and slow-motion effects
• Create sophisticated picture-in-picture, side-by-side and green screen effects
• Create a soundtrack using built-in music and sound effects, songs from your iTunes library, songs you’ve recorded in GarageBand and your own narration
Fine-tune every clip
• Instantly improve the look and sound of your video using one-click Enhance
• Give your video a boost with easy-to-use colour controls
• Stabilise shaky video for a smoother picture that’s easier to watch
• Automatically zoom in on faces and glide across panorama photos with the Ken Burns Effect
• Choose from 48 fun video and audio effects
Watch anywhere with iMovie Theater
• Fill iMovie Theater with posters as you share clips, movies and trailers
• Access iMovie Theater on all your devices with iCloud
Share with friends and family
• Email videos with Mail Drop when signed in to iCloud
• Share directly to YouTube and Vimeo at up to 4K resolution
• Share any video frame as an image
Create App Previews for the App Store
• Import iPhone and iPad screen recording videos captured with QuickTime Player
• Highlight features with 11 animated titles designed to showcase apps in action
• Export finished videos using the App Preview share option
(1) 4K export requires a Mac from 2011 or later with at least 4GB of RAM. Full-resolution 4K playback is supported on iMac with Retina display and Mac Pro (2013 or later) when connected to a 4K display.
What's New in Version 10.1.10
• Removes the option to share video files directly to Facebook
• Adds a new Prepare for Facebook option which exports a Facebook-compatible video file to your system, which you can manually upload to the Facebook website
• Improves overall stability
Ratings and Reviews
Not worthy of the ‘apple’ title
I have used Apples for years and iMovie and and off for a while. iMovie has always been at odds with the Apple ethos of ‘it just works’. You would think by now iMovie would have fallen into line with how eveyrthing else works on a Mac but apparently not. For example: you cannot just ‘save’ conventionally in iMovie. iMovie simply will not let you close a project without saving (which is the simplest option if you realy screw up early on in a project) - and even worse, it will then refuse to import the original files again. This and other basic tasks, whilst not difficult, are certainly counter - intuitive. Regrettably, Apple has so bought into the belief that it’s products ‘just work’ that there is no practical information in the ‘Help’ guide (there’s a brief section on audio scrubbing which successfully manages to avoid explaining what 'audio scrubbing' is - quite impressive, in its own way) so you end up having to battle through iMovie with a search engine: I use Google.
Does what you want… nothing more.
I’ve never had any problems using this app. It’s always done the job so I can’t complain. I’ve made close to 100 videos using it. The only thing I would change is the fact it never has anything new. I would happily pay for add-ons or extensions. To make it more interesting or exciting. To breath some life into the original software. To ignite my imagination and enthusiasm. There are plenty of other apps out there that have everything iMovie has and a handful of extra features which would be great if iMovie didn't exist but they're not really worth buying for the little you’d gain when compared to iMovie. Come on Apple give us something new. I have cash…..
Okay to start with!
So I’ve been using this and it’s great for beginners! If you just want to put something together without smashing your face through a wall with frustration this’ll do the job. Unfortunately though when you start wanted to be a bit more creative with your videos you might start getting bored.
1. The text options are, frankly, terrible. You cannot put more than one textbox (oh sorry, titles) up at one point and it’s really awkward to adjust the positioning of the boxes. For example, before I started a video I wanted to do a little introduction bit with texts at different places on the screen. That relatively simple task is currently impossible on iMovie.
2. Importing photos can be straight up weird. You will fit into one of three categories:
- You won’t have a problem
- Your photo will be bigger than 1MB and won’t upload unless you adjust the size of the photo (use Preview, adjust size)
I just got off the phone with Apple support and apparently it’s uploading photos above 4000 pixels that’s the issue. But yeah, besides that easy, intuitive app!
- Apple Distribution International
- 2.2 GB
- macOS 10.13.6 or later
- English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 1999-2001, 2003-2018 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.