One of the world's most popular nature apps, iNaturalist helps you identify the plants and animals around you. Get connected with a community of over 400,000 scientists and naturalists who can help you learn more about nature! What's more, by recording and sharing your observations, you'll create research quality data for scientists working to better understand and protect nature. iNaturalist is a joint initiative by the California Academy of Sciences and the National Geographic Society
• Discover species new to you both near and far
• Record your own observations and share them with the community
• Receive suggestions and crowdsourced identifications of what you've seen
• Discuss and help others identify what they've seen
• Follow projects comprised of smaller communities and fellow citizen scientists passionate about a particular place and/or species
fixes a crash when uploading to iNaturalist.org
fixes a bug where activity feed doesn't load content
add Dutch translations
Ratings and Reviews
I’ve been looking for an app that does this for quite a few years! Great that it ties in with research projects.
Would be nice to be able to connect to friends to compare finds and stats. More stat info, achèvements, local, weekly rankings would really help get people involved and aware. Gamification of it more might feel less serious but benefits of involvement from people who don’t pay attention to nature would be great. Would have to include more guides/warnings for not disturbing animals though.
But a few rewards, more points for rare animals etc and you’ve got a Pokemon go app thats actually educational and useful.
Easily my favourite app on my phone at the moment. I've always wanted something like this, where you can photograph and ID animals on the go. It's really fun to head out into the park on a mission to find as many animals as you can, to try and 'collect', if you like, all the species you can in your area.
One small improvement: to be able to categorise your observations, maybe into folders or lists etc, from the app. Also, a way to view your favourites.
Other than that, a completely deserved 5 stars!
Best identifier yet
Hasn’t failed me yet. Only a couple of near misses but the suggestions get you there, being really picky I question whether it has the complete UK flora and fauna covered but it seams to be pretty much there and most likely my limited knowledge when a tricky one to identify. Namely mushrooms. This is so much fun I hope it is possible in the future to have more UK based projects and also get to know when friends are on here.
- iNaturalist, LLC
- 34.6 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- English, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Hebrew, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2014 iNaturalist, California Academy of Sciences
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.