By James Sanford
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
We need your help to identify some of the rarest and threatened species on the planet!
Instant Wild delivers LIVE photographs of wild animals to you from motion sensitive cameras placed in remote locations across the globe.
And by identifying the animals that have been photographed, you can play a direct role in helping conservation scientists understand and protect wildlife.
Developed by the Zoological Society of London, this unique app lets you monitor wildlife from the comfort of your home or even on your daily commute. You may be the first to discover a new species, or rediscover an animal once thought to be extinct, all on your iPhone.
The Instant Wild App enables you to see the latest captured images from our camera traps around the world, receive a notification when a camera—one you've elected to follow—takes a new photo, and help our conservation researchers by attempting to identify the species in the image (and learn a little about the species that are out there at the same time!).
Major features of the app:
• View the latest live images from the field
• Your phone alerts you when an image is captured by a camera that you're following
• Zoom in on image details
• Identify the species in the image, thus directly aiding conservation efforts
• See all our cameras and choose which ones to follow
• Share the most interesting and picturesque images on social networks like Facebook, Twitter, Delicious etc.
• Keep a list of your favourite images
Due to the live nature of the content, you'll need Internet access from your phone (3G or WiFi) for some app functions to operate.
Discuss what's been spotted in each photograph with others online and view live species sighting opinions on the Instant Wild website http://www.edgeofexistence.org/instantwild
Full instructions for the app can be found at http://www.edgeofexistence.org/instant_wild/mobile_apps/ios_app_support.php
Instant Wild is an experimental project and although we will try to get as many photos coming in to you as we can, and for as long as we can, cameras may be down at times and we cannot guarantee the long term provision of images. However, we certainly hope that, with your help, this project will continue for many years to come.
Download Instant Wild now and get started helping to conserve wildlife... instantly.
Thanks to Cambridge Consultants, Lead Technology Integrator
What's New in Version 1.2
• Comment on images via the app, pose questions, point out identifying features etc.
• Get detailed information on individual cameras and their associated projects, status updates, and image lists
• Check your rankings in numbers of idents and identification speed
• See latest news on Instant Wild: improvements, weather effects, wildlife attacks on cameras, and identification results
Great app, disappointing update...
I love this app and I get a little excited whenever I see a notification. The new features are interesting but the recent update deleted all of the pictures I'd favourited and doesn't show all of the animals I'd already identified - very disappointed!
Glad too see the iPhone 5 is now fully supported! 😀
The latest update completely erased my stats about how many images I'd reviewed (about 500) to zero. Rather irritating, although presumably not a problem for the researchers.