Japanese is the ultimate study companion for any Japanese language learner. Japanese is comprehensive, with over 175,000 dictionary entries and 58,000 example sentences, and fits perfectly in your pocket. It comes complete with references, flashcard study tools and all you need to master the Japanese language. Japanese runs offline, allowing you to learn on the go, wherever you go.
• Japanese’s search engine is unparalleled in its speed, returning the most relevant results for your search as you type.
• Search from over 175,000 words and 58,000 example sentences.
• Handwriting recognition: Write any kanji in any stroke order and have Japanese decipher and display the most likely kanji or kana.
• Conjugation Search: Search a word in any conjugation to get a complete dictionary entry for that word.
• Text Reader: Struggling with a website or text message? Input long text and see it translated into its constituent parts.
• Flashcards: Easy-to-use flashcard study with study reminders and social elements that allow you to share your lists with friends.
• Text-to-Speech: Learn a word’s pronunciation.
• JLPT: Tests aren’t everything. But for those seeking to master the JLPT, Japanese has dedicated study lists.
WORK WITH IT
• Intuitive user interface: Find the information you need, when you need it.
• Split View: Use Japanese simultaneously with other applications on your iPad or large screen Apple device with Split View.
• Custom Content: Create your own lists, labels, history, folders and notes to help organise your studies.
• Sharing: Share Lists with Family, Friends and Study Buddies via AirDrop, Messages or Email.
• Import: Easily import your data from other Japanese language learning apps such as Imiwa, Midori and Nihongo, Rikaichan.
• Backup & Restore: Never worry about loosing your data with Japanese’s in-app backup and restore features.
Ratings and Reviews
iOS 11 has made it buggy 😔
This app is everything to me! I use it everyday!!! iOS 11 has completely destroyed the new writing part of the update and I was really starting to enjoy that part of it. When I try writing my phone goes black and glitches back to the home screen. As well- the top of the screen that would normally show the word in bold is now hidden because iOS 11 seems to stop you from scrolling now 😔. I don’t want this to ruin this incredible app.... please please PLEASEEEE try and fix this <3
I was worried I was going to have to find a new Japanese dictionary app since this one was falling a little bit into disrepair. Was delighted to see the update, and that all the issues have been fixed. The study mode has been improved a lot too.
Apparently the app is now free. I hope you won't forget the people who paid for it when you're planning your monetisation ;)
This is an exceptionally comprehensive and incredibly useful app that suits all levels of Japanese learning. The title page even suggests new words for you to learn that you might not come across elsewhere. I have added several to my lists. I particularly like the new customisations such as SRS for the flashcards to help you learn better.
A few points of criticism:
Sometimes the definition overspills the page and so you can't read the whole thing.
The sentence translator doesn't always recognise basic words/particles or gives strange translations for it.
Sometimes verbs appear to have a glitch where all the conjugations present are listed as formal. This is difficult to get past for beginners such as myself.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.