Just Press Record is the ultimate mobile audio recorder bringing one tap recording, transcription and iCloud syncing to all your devices. You can even start a new recording completely hands-free with Siri!
Life is full of moments we would rather not forget - like your child’s first words, an important meeting or spontaneous idea. Capture these moments effortlessly on iPhone, iPad or for ultimate convenience, Apple Watch.
• Use a Siri Shortcut to start a new recording.
• One tap to start, stop, pause and resume recording.
• Unlimited recording time.
• Record discretely in the background.
• Choose to record from the built-in mic, AirPods or external microphones.
• Start and stop recording from the Lock screen widget, with a 3D Touch Quick Action or via the URL scheme.
• Record independently on Apple Watch and sync later.
• Seek backwards and forwards during playback.
• Adjustable playback speed.
• Turn speech into searchable text.
• Edit your transcriptions right inside the app.
• Support for over 30 languages, independent of your device's language setting.
• Format as you record with punctuation command recognition.
• Share audio and text to other apps on your iOS device.
• Share to iTunes on Mac or PC via the Lightning Port.
• View recent recordings or browse your library by date and time.
• Search by filename or transcription content.
• Dedicated tab for quick access to recordings made on Apple Watch.
• Peek and Pop the contents of folders in the Browse tab.
• Rename recordings.
• Slide Over and Split View support on iPad.
• Choose to store recordings either in iCloud Drive or locally on-device.
• Recordings stored in iCloud Drive automatically sync across all your devices.
• Transcriptions are stored within the audio file.
• Support for high quality external microphones connected via the Lightning Port.
• Customizable Audio Settings to enhance your recording experience.
• File types include WAV, AIF or standard iTunes M4A (ACC).
• High quality audio up to 96kHz / 24-bit.
• VoiceOver support throughout the app.
• Magic Tap gesture to start / stop a recording.
• Dark Mode makes the app more comfortable to use in the dark.
Just Press Record includes an Apple Watch app that gives you the freedom to record anywhere, even when your iPhone is not around.
• Start recording with a single tap on the Complication, or just ask Siri!
• Record discretely in the background.
• Unlimited recording time.
• Recordings automatically transfer to iPhone for transcription and iCloud syncing.
• Listen to recent recordings through the built-in speaker or AirPods.
• Adjust volume with the Digital Crown.
• Pause recording with a downward swipe.
• Accessibility support with VoiceOver, reduced motion and support for the extra large Complication template.
• Transcription requires a good, clean audio signal. Avoid recording in noisy environments and ensure the microphone is positioned close to the source.
• Recording from AirPods is not available on Apple Watch.
• Just Press Record for Mac is available as a separate purchase on the Mac App Store.
• URL scheme implemented by Just Press Record can be found on our FAQ page.
This update contains bug fixes and performance improvements.
Just Press Record will never interrupt you to ask for a review - we don’t like being interrupted either! However, App Store ratings and reviews are important, so if you are enjoying Just Press Record and have a spare minute, we’d be delighted if you could leave a rating or review on the App Store. Thanks!
Ratings and Reviews
I love it. Since the update even better.
This app just keeps getting better and better. It's at the point now where I wouldn't really get an Apple Watch if I couldn't have JPR! New features and bug squashes happen all the time; I swear you'll find endless uses for this app, even if you're not a musician/audio tech. But if you are I can assure you this app won't disappoint. I feel like they bribed me for the way I keep gushing over it, but the only "bribe" they made was this incredible app that I am so glad I paid the reasonable asking price for. My older review follows:
I was surprised to learn that there was no 1st party support for recording on Apple Watch.. and then I was surprised to learn that not all the watch 'recording' apps actually recorded locally on the watch and therefore would still be useful even if out of range of my iPhone. Once I saw that I was more than happy to pay for JPR and even though it's only rarely I need to record something I am always so glad I have it. The UI is super easy to use, it fits in with Apple's apps just like you want iOS/watchOS apps to do. And even before the update (which really locked things in) I never lost a recording or even had trouble getting them across from the watch. Since, it's just a dream app that really brings significant additional value to one of my favourite Apple devices, if only because its widdle face is so kerrrruute! Erm, where was I. Man good job nobody is recording this...
This app promises a lot but fails to deliver in the one thing I needed from it — transcription. My hope was that I could dictate short pieces of text, like blog posts or scenes from a book I am working on. Unfortunately it’s not up to the job.
Just Press Record is obviously designed for very short text snippets, probably no longer than a reminder, the sort of thing you might say to Alexa or Siri.
An example: I dictated a short blog post that popped into my mind before I went to bed. I didn’t want to forget about it, and having the phone transcribe it seemed like the perfect way to capture it quickly.
In the morning I set the app to transcribe the text. I took almost two hours (during which time I had to keep waking the device, because transcription stops when it auto locks), and drained a little more than 50% of the battery (and this with the speech-to-text engine downloaded, so no network traffic). All to provide fewer than 700 words, approximately one third of which bore no resemblance to what I actually dictated. Fixing the text by hand took longer than it would have taken to just type it out in the first place.
I know transcription is hard, and that the app uses Apple’s built-in engine to do the job, but they should really make it clearer that the feature is severely limited, and not really suitable for more than a dozen or so words dictated slowly and in perfect acoustic circumstances.
This app should come with every iOS by default
This is one app which should come with every iOS out of the box. JPR (Just Press Record) completes my iPhone 8 Plus and Watch series 3. Sync between the watch and my iPhone is seamless. Voice quality from JPR is on par with Rode and some of pro recording apps.
Now some issues
- Don’t know if it’s just me, most of the time the app crashes the moment I click on “Transcribe”.
- Transcribe functionality is a tad bit iffy and I totally understand that it has nothing to do with the app however you can not edit the transcript which makes the whole functional use less. Yes, you can edit once you have exported the transcript to email/message/whatsapp. It would be great to see the in appedit transcript feature in future update.
I am not going to mark JPR down because of these issues as it still is a 5 star plus app.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the kind words! This is the first time we’ve heard of an issue with the Transcribe button - we’d love to understand why it’s happening. If you don’t mind, would you drop us an email via "FAQ and Support" in the app settings and we will try to figure out what’s going on. Thank you.
- Open Planet Software Limited
- 7.1 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 Open Planet Software Ltd.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.