By AMZN Mobile LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Kindle app is optimised for the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch, giving users the ability to read Kindle books, newspapers, magazines and PDFs on a beautiful, easy-to-use interface. You’ll have access to over 1,500,000* books in the Kindle Store. Amazon Whispersync automatically syncs your last page read, bookmarks, notes, and highlights across devices (including Kindle), so you can pick up your book where you left off on another device.
Get the best reading experience available on your iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch:
• Shop in the Kindle Store by visiting Amazon for the largest selection of books people want to read: over 1,500,000* books. Choose from over 650,000 titles for £3.99 or less and 300,000 Kindle-exclusive titles that you won’t find anywhere else, including books by bestselling authors such as Phil Rickman.
• Enjoy popular magazines and newspapers, such as The Economist, The Spectator, The Guardian and The Daily Mail, with high-resolution colour images.*
• E-mail PDFs & other documents to your new Send-to-Kindle e-mail address and we deliver them to your device. The documents are archived automatically in the Amazon Cloud and available for re-downloading on your iOS or supported Kindle devices. You can also read PDFs from Mail, Safari, or by transferring them from iTunes.
• Get free book samples – read the first chapter for free before you decide to buy.
• Customise your reading experience by choosing the margin size, background colour, font size, and either portrait or landscape format.
• Instant dictionary word lookup. Press and hold a word to view the definition. Use the Google and Wikipedia links to get more information.
• Search inside the book to find a character, topic or section you want to revisit.
• Simply tap on either side of the screen or swipe to turn pages.
• You can also read your Kindle books on your Kindle, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch, PC, Mac, Android-based device, and Windows Phone 7-based device. Our Whispersync technology syncs your last page read, notes, bookmarks and highlights across devices, so you can pick up where you left off.
• Accessibility features make it easier for blind and visually impaired customers to navigate their Kindle libraries, read & interact with books, and more. Enable VoiceOver in your device settings to begin.
* Selection and price of books in the Kindle Store may vary by country.
What's New in Version 4.2
● Table of Contents: customers can now access their table of contents from the left panel navigation menu from within most books and see chapter headings and page numbers. Curious readers can tap a chapter to navigate directly to that part of the book.
● X-Ray Smart Look-Up: Look up Amazon exclusive X-Ray information without ever leaving the page. Select a word or name and learn more about the concept, person, or place in the Info Card provided at the bottom of the page.
The app is great for a book collection but has one major drawback. In the collections section there is no list version available, you can only see your books in the collection in grid form. In grid form the titles of some types of documents cannot be seen at a glance. It is necessary to open the document to see what the title is- this makes it very difficult to quickly see what documents are available and this is a major drawback.
It looks with this latest update as if Kindle have finally fixed the Reading Speed feature, so I'll up my rating by 1 star. I'm still leaving 1 star off because it's taken such a long time to get it right.
Couldn't live without it
Amazing. Great way to read books, completely hooked!
- Category: Books
- Updated: 22 April 2014
- Version: 4.2
- Size: 31.2 MB
- Languages: English, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish
- Developer: AMZN Mobile LLC
- © 2009-2014 Amazon.com, Inc. or its Affiliates.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.