Kindle – Read Books, eBooks, Magazines, Newspapers & Textbooks
By AMZN Mobile LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Carry a library in your pocket anywhere you go. Get access to more than 3,000,000 books and audiobooks including over 750,000 Kindle exclusive titles. With the Kindle app, get your book once and read it on any device and share across your family’s devices. Choose from a wide selection of books, newspapers, and magazines from The Economist to The Week.
Build your own library
• Choose from popular fiction to classics such as Pride and Prejudice and Treasure Island
• Read a sample of any book before adding it to your library
• Share your books across your household with Family Library
• Get popular magazines, newspapers, children's books and cookbooks with high-resolution colour images
Best reading tools
• Customize your reading experience with your preferred font style, font size, background colour, line spacing and margin size
• Enjoy nighttime reading with adjustable screen brightness
• Easily edit or change highlight colours, and select long passages that span multiple pages
• Tap and hold text for instant definition and translations
• Search inside the book to find key ideas, characters, and locations using smart look-up, as well as background info and biographies from Wikipedia within the app with X-Ray for Books (English, German, Japanese, Chinese titles only)
• Accessibility features make it easier for blind and visually impaired readers to navigate Kindle libraries, read & interact with books, and more
• Enjoy unlimited access to over 800,000 titles and thousands of audiobooks with Kindle Unlimited eBook Subscription
• Automatically synchronize bookmarks, annotations, and your furthest page read across devices and app with Whispersync
• Switch seamlessly between reading your Kindle book and listening to its audio companion with Whispersync for Voice
Organize your reading
• Easily group your reads into custom categories with Kindle’s Collection. The sorted collections are then stored in the Cloud linked to your Amazon account
• Send PDFs or any documents to Kindle for later reading. Amazon provides free Personal Documents Service to assist with file transfers
What's New in Version 4.20
Double spread layout for comics
Fix for Cloud Library sync problems (for very large libraries this might take a few seconds)
Bug fixes and performance improvements
I didn't want another device to carry around with me. I use my iPad daily in my work, and I need my iPhone with me, so this was the solution, plus it allowed me to find out for free whether or not I liked reading this way. It's proved to be perfect for me - I'm reading more as I can pick up where I left off on either device, great when you're sitting in a waiting room somewhere. I haven't tried reading on a Kindle, so I can't compare, but what I can say is that this has solved my problem and increased my reading at the same time. And I love having more than one book on the go at the same time!
Unlike some reviewers here, even though my iPad is nearly full, only a few megabits left, I have no issues with loading speeds. A great app if you don't want to buy a Kindle - buy more books instead!
How to break an app.
Update - 22nd May 2016. Still broken! Why dos it still take so long to load? Do you (the programmers) assume we are tied to your app so why bother fixing it? Even moving away for the book for a few seconds causes the same delay reloading the text. Even with whisper sync turned off. iBooks is looking more and more tempting.
You would have thought that an app to allow you to read a book would be a simple thing. And it should be. And it was. But now the programmers have managed to make this a slow loading, buggy app. Why does it now take so long to load? Why does it take so long to display the text? Why, when it does finally display the text does it then take time for the menus to be available? It used to work. Where is the 'go back to previous version' button!.(and just so you know, disabling the whisper sync, which was supposed to speed up loading, doesn't help. Nor did the latest iOS update.)
Fantastic - couldn't be without it.
I am an avid reader of novels, Bibles and commentaries. Having access to all of my books, dictionaries and language guides, wherever I am, at whatever time I need them is wonderful and so much appreciated by this gereatric (do I need my dictionary to check that spelling?). And look at the space saving (and weight saving) when you're flying away on holiday. I would recommend it to anyone.
- Category: Books
- Updated: 16 May 2016
- Version: 4.20
- Size: 89.1 MB
- Languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Developer: AMZN Mobile LLC
- © 2009-2016 Amazon.com, Inc. or its Affiliates.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.