By AMZN Mobile LLC
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
The Kindle app gives users the ability to read Kindle books on a beautiful, easy-to-use interface. You’ll have access to over 1,000,000* books in the Kindle Store, including best sellers and new releases. Amazon Whispersync automatically syncs your last page read, bookmarks, notes, and highlights across devices (including Kindle), so you can pick up where you left off on another device.
Get the best reading experience available on your Mac:
• Shop the Kindle Store for over 1,000,000* Kindle books, including New Releases and 107 of 111 New York Times Best Sellers. Over 610,000* of these books are $9.99 or less, including 79 New York Times Best Sellers.
• Start reading immediately with three free books: Pride and Prejudice, Treasure Island, and Aesop’s Fables. Thousands more free classics are available in the Kindle Store.
• Get free book samples – read the first chapter free before you decide to buy.
• Customize your reading experience by choosing the background color and font size.
• Instant dictionary word lookup with 250,000 entries and definitions. Select a word to view the definition. Use the Google and Wikipedia links to get more information.
• Search inside the book to find a character, topic, or section you want to revisit.
• Simply click on either side of the screen or press the arrow keys to turn pages.
• You can also read your Kindle books on your Kindle, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX, iPhone, iPad, PC, Android-based device, BlackBerry, and Windows Phone 7-based device. Our Whispersync technology syncs your last page read, notes, bookmarks, and highlights across devices, so you can pick up where you left off.
* Selection and price of books in the Kindle Store may vary by country.
What's New in Version 1.10.6
Support for China marketplace.
Support for Retina display.
Miscellaneous bug fixes and performance improvements.
I don’t understand some of the reviews
I have been using the kindle app for some years on my phone, I now use it on my iPhone,Ipad and Mac, and it syncs to furthes page on all devices almost seamlessly (sometimes I have to click the sync button as I may be a little impatient when changing devices), I can read all my books off line and now have started using the audible part for when I’m driving and this sync’s too (albeit to the top of the last page read of course), I love the xray option for the occasions when I’m not sure about the name of a character (who they are). Over all I think it great, I read a review which said that a person can only read books when online, if this is hte case there must be setting as I do not read any of my books on line.
After reading these reviews, I was not encouraged: but nevertheless decided to give Kindle a try.
Very good choice. After purchasing it: I downloaded a few books onto my laptop: and did so with no problems. Then I played around with the app, testing it’s capabilities both while reading and in and around the library.
There is a user friendly interface, simple instructions and a wide range of options and personalisation. You can adjust the brightness of the app (whilst not affecting the rest of the screen), the size of the text, the spacing of the text, whether you read in pages or columns, and what colour scheme you read it with. You can highlight, make notes, look words or phrases up in the dictionary, view the book extras and even report mistakes.
I deducted one star from the review for two reasons. Firstly, when turning pages, it’s a bit abrupt and doesn’t fit with Kindle device’s smooth page turn. Secondly (and more importantly), you cannot copy and paste words, which may be useful when writing an essay relating to the book.
Overall, it is a great app with a few improvements to be made: but what app doesn’t have those! I would definitely reccomend this to anybody wanting to read their Kindle books on their Mac!
Not a great app compared to the iOS version.
The reason for this is a number of things; namely the app does not sync your collections (folders) that you either created on the app or on the iOS app between devices - this is problematic when you want to continue reading from your mobile device to your laptop. Additional the user interface is very outdated, it needs a refresh, flatter icons and font options that are available on the mobile version as well. iBooks for example is fully fledged compared to this and it’s disappointing. Hope they update it soon.