By Peter Borg Apps AB
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
"A great utility...its UI is awesome" – Dave Hamilton, Mac Geek Gab & The Mac Observer
Lingon is an easy to use utility that run things automatically on your Mac.
Lingon can start an app, a script or run a command automatically whenever you want it to. You can schedule it to run at a specific time, regularly or when something special happens.
Lingon can also make sure that an app or a script automatically restarts if it crashes. With Lingon you can also remove or change jobs created by other apps that uses the system function called "launchd".
Lingon can do all this for you and much more. And the system handles running the jobs in the background so you don't need to have Lingon open after you have saved your job.
Please note that Lingon 3 can only create and change jobs as the current user. For more advanced features check out Lingon X at the web site.
There are two main ways to use Lingon:
• Edit or delete an existing job (which e.g. another service has created):
- Select the job from the list that you want to edit
- Make the changes you need and choose Save, or choose Delete from the File menu
• Create a new job:
- Choose New from the File menu
- Give the job a unique name
- Decide what you want to run (e.g. a script, an app or a command) and either write the command under Run or use the Choose... button to find the script or app
- Choose when you want the it to run, e.g. if you want it to restart after a crash check the Keep running checkbox
- Choose Save & Load to save the job and load it
What's New in Version 3.1.3
• Addressed a possible issue when choosing what to run
• Addressed a rounding off issue when running jobs at intervals
• Removed a harmless log entry that appeared when a job is loaded
• Some other smaller bug fixes
Can only create jobs as the current user
I had the old (free) version on my MacBook Pro, but decided to support the developer by buying the new version through the App Store for my iMac. I didn't read the description etc. as I am an existing user so I already know how it works. The other reviews are correct though - this version is pretty useless as it can't edit system jobs. Presumably because of App Store rules.
I copied the old version to my iMac and I'm using that now. I'm not going to ask for a refund as I want to support the developer, but if it were me I think I'd rename the App Store version to "User Lingon" or something like that, and sell a full version outside of the App Store.
Does exactly what i need
I wanted to monitor a file and recieve a push notification to my phone (via Pushover) whenever the file changes. This did the job perfectly and saved me having to get my hands dirty with plist files. Simple & effective. Recommended.
This program lacks many of the features of the older, free versions of Lingon. Check that it has the features you need before buying it.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: 26 November 2012
- Version: 3.1.3
- Size: 0.9 MB
- Languages: English, Swedish
- Developer: Peter Borg Apps AB
- © 2005-2012 Peter Borg Apps AB
Compatibility: OS X 10.7 or later, 64-bit processor