Lovelace & Babbage
By Agant Ltd.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
"Gorgeous… incredibly engaging, geeky and wickedly witty" – Wired.com's Geek Dad
Science heroes Ada Lovelace and Charles Babbage fight crime, clients, street-musicians and poetry in a gadget-filled steampunk Victorian London, in cult webcomic ‘The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage’. Now beautifully redrawn for the iPad, their adventures are accompanied by copious footnotes and hundreds of real-life historical documents and illustrations.
The app includes the FREE "Lovelace: The Origin", a graphical biography of Ada, Countess of Lovelace, daughter of notorious poet Lord Byron, and computer programmer before there *were* any computers. With extensive footnotes, and some very special historical objects included!
The app is part of Ada Lovelace Day 2011 (http://findingada.com) – an international day to celebrate the achievements of women in science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
– Try out ‘The Client’, a full-length adventure featuring Queen Victoria, the Duke of Wellington, the Duke of Wellington's horse, and astounding excerpts from the autobiography of Charles Babbage
– Discover a whole host of historical curiosities, facts and interesting tidbits
– Explore Victorian books, magazines and articles in a beautiful full-screen reader
– Delve into hundreds of Wikipedia articles, stored in the app for superfast offline reading
“Sheer genius… if I was not already married, I would propose to this comic. That's how much I love it.”
– Nick Harkaway, author of ‘The Gone-away World’
“One of the geekiest, funniest, most consistently intelligent and entertaining web comics being written these days.”
– Economist contributor G.F.
“Absolutely great online comic… a real treat.”
– The Times
– Bruce Sterling, author of ‘The Difference Engine’
What's New in Version 1.0.2
- Fixed a bug that would cause the app to crash when attempting to purchase The Client
- Fixed an issue where note links would become inactive
- Corrected some typos within the notes
Entertaining & informative
If you're into any of: steampunk, historical fiction, graphic novelettes, computer history or Victorian engineering then this is an app for you.
The stories are witty, intelligent and wonderfully illustrated. But what really makes the app is the inclusion of extensive notes and source material that provide the historical background to the fictional stories.
Two stories are currently included - one is free ('The origin') the other ('The client') is an in-app purchase. Other stories have been written and published on-line so will hopefully be available in future app upgrades (but of course that costs money, so buy the current one!).
An enthralling time sink
The early teething problems appear to have been ironed out so happy to give this app 5 stars.
The comic is very funny, and charmingly drawn. The notes, hitherto footnotes in the web version of the comic, are now (optionally) shown alongside the panels and the result is ridiculously addictive.
And educational— though it's education by stealth, so you will hardly notice you're being educated.
A great way to bring the web comic to a wider audience, and I love the background info. Can't wait for the next installments.