Luminair 3 is a professional-grade lighting control app, exclusively for iOS, that gives lighting designers, filmmakers and TV professionals, musicians, artists and other enthusiasts advanced control over DMX-enabled lights, as well as the next generation of "Smart" lights like Philips Hue.
Luminair’s unparalleled, multi-touch friendly controls were first developed back in 2008 in the first days of the App Store.
The app has gone on to be used in every corner of the globe, on everything from Oscar-winning films, in museum exhibitions, by artists and musicians, event professionals, as well as in theaters, clubs and houses of worship. Luminair for iPad received a Lighting Control “Product of the Year” award in 2012 from Live Design magazine, one of the leading industry publications.
Luminair 3 is the next generation of mobile lighting control, and this release truly represents the original vision of it’s designers. With the newly modernized user-interface, and features such as the new Dynamic FX engine, Scheduling, Remote for Apple Watch, Touch ID-powered Lockdown mode, and Tap to Bump, the creative possibilities are now limitless.
- Optimized for iPad Pro
- One DMX Output Universe
- One Art-Net DMX Input Universe for creating Snapshot scene recordings from another lighting console
- Works with any Art-Net or sACN E1.31 compliant DMX interface
- Transmits Art-Net and sACN E1.31 over built-in Wi-Fi hardware
- Transmits KiNET to Philips Color Kinetics power supplies over built-in Wi-Fi hardware
- Supports Art-Net, sACN and KiNET over wired ethernet connections with optional Redpark L2-NET lightning-to-ethernet cable accessory (available separately)
- Project based system allows you to create different documents and switch between them easily in Project selection view
- LTP faders with fully-configurable scene parameters
- DMX FX Engine* with a Movement generator, Oscillator, Color Looping, Random Color/Intensity, Fire, Water, and Television FX
- Palette/preset based movement system allows you to control and edit movements of multiple moving lights together in unison
- Sequences allow you to play back scenes with customized fade and hold times
- Sound Active mode allows for music controlled light shows using the built-in microphone, external sound sources, or Inter-App Audio
- Innovative tap-to-bump gesture allows you to quickly bump the levels of a scene while holding it's button, releasing those levels when let go
- Scheduling features built-in for triggering any scene or sequence. Great for architectural lighting, installations and related work.
- Supports simultaneous control of DMX and Hue lights in the same project
- Touch ID powered Lockdown mode allows you to lock specific parts of the Luminair user interface. Great for passing off control to volunteers or other lighting novices.
- Includes Luminair Remote for Apple Watch (on iPhone devices)
- Supports various external control methods as MIDI, MIDI over Bluetooth LE and Wi-Fi, Geofences, OSC Input, Philips Hue Tap light switches
- User manual included in iBooks format
- Streaming video overview tutorials are included (requires internet connection)
- Additional support for iBeacons, MSC, MTC, and an Astronomical clock for Schedule mode are available as separate In-App Purchases
- 64-bit app with a scalable UI that uses the latest Apple technologies like iCloud, Core Animation, Core MIDI, Core Image, Grand Central Dispatch and more to deliver an exceptional user experience
This is just a taste of what Luminair 3 offers... Please visit luminairapp.com for full details!
Please follow us @SyntheFX on Twitter for the latest Luminair news!
*FX engine and movement generator require iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad 3rd-generation, iPad mini 2, iPhone 5, or iPod touch 5th generation or greater
IMPORTANT: Luminair 3 requires external DMX or Hue hardware to control lights, but can also be used in an "offline" mode for building projects and as a learning tool.
- Support for 2018 iPad Pro 11" and 12.9" devices
- Fade time length extended to up to 24 hours
- Fixed an issue that could prevent some 3rd-party ethernet adapters from working correctly
- Fixed an issue that could cause building profiles to fail under specific circumstances
- Added profiles for Astera AX1 Tube, AX3, AX5, AX7 and AX10
- Added additional profiles for new Kino Flo fixtures
Celebrating 10 years of Luminair app on iOS! Thank you for your continued support. For further assistance with this update or any other issues, please don't hesitate to contact us at https://support.luminairapp.com
Ratings and Reviews
Shame there’s no free demo
This app in my opinion isn’t worth the money, it’s not bad but does little more than any of the free DMX apps out there, and there’s little or no exact info available to make you decide if this app is going to suite the users exact requirements, I wouldn’t have purchased it if I’d have tried a demo so there goes £99 down the drain.
Just so easy to use
Bought the older version a long time ago and when I finally came to use it, iOS updates on my iPad (and newer iPad) meant I had to buy the latest version of luminair as the older version wouldn’t run on later versions of iOS. That aside, this software for me as a home diy user is perfect. I intend to use this to light scenes for short films and being a lone worker, I can program in sequences and play them on loop, and do multiple takes without needing anyone else on hand. Feedback and advise from tech team has always been prompt and friendly. My only regret is not buying the more expensive enttec dmx device so I wouldn’t have to connect to my iMac.
Tablets should be the future for lighting design. Luminair essentially 'does what it says on the tin' but doesn't take full advantage of being on a portable touchscreen device. Lighting design is a spatial rather than a numeric discipline, so turning on 'that light there at about three quarters' is preferable to setting channel 37 to 192. Luminair needs the ability to choose and set lights from a rig plan, magic sheet or whatever you wish to call it, rather than having to juggle with a paper plan to find a channel number then side scroll through pages of faders to find the right one.
Could also borrow timeline display ideas from movie editing apps for sequence building.
Could be a very slick app.
—-Update after much more use in anger: I would strongly recommend improvements in fixture selection as ones rig grows. Swiping one’s way through getting on for 100 faders to ride the one you want in a live or last minute programming situation is far from ideal.
In-App PurchasesSee All
- Synthe FX, LLC
- 134.5 MB
- Requires iOS 8.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Synthe FX LLC
- In-App Purchases
- MIDI Pro £19.99
- Pro Bundle £48.99
- Schedule Pro £19.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.